*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Boiling Point'

djpretzel

ReMixer Name: Red Omen

Email: redomen@redomen.com

Forum ID: 10619

I'm sure you have all of Protricity's information.

Game ReMixed: Donkey Kong Country

Name of Song: Bad Boss Boogie

Comments: The ninth track for the DKC Arrangement Collaboration, Kong in Concert. I (Red Omen) originally signed up for this particular track, but my final product was too dull and muddy. Protricity cleaned it up and added several additional tracks, like some of the synths and percussion parts.

The time signature for this song was amorphous at best. I spent ages listening to it, trying to discern what it was doing, but the percussion from the SPC file was too feeble to give me a clearly defined idea.

The closest I could come up with was three bars of 4/4 and one of 5/8 per phrase, and used that until deciding to shift into straight 4/4 for variety's (and sanity's) sake. I'm a big fan of polyrhythms, but writing them myself and figuring them out from an ambiguous recording are worlds apart.

=====

- Red Omen

http://www.redomen.com

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkc.rsn - "Bad Boss Boogie" (dkc-10.spc)

Especially clocking in at 1:48, even Ari himself has been against submitting mixes this short, so I could easily envision him saying "make the track twice as long". The arrangement is nice and expansive in style compared to the original but loops back to the beginning at 1:09 before going for the ending at 1:35.

If the track featured more thematic permutations (like Shnabubula's Guardian Legend mix "Red Spiders") and thereby remained new the whole way through, I'd be inclined to YES despite the length. Don't get me wrong. The track is high octane, and I loved Ryan's non-standard time signature work (which, though borrowed here, he personally employs in a large number of his pieces) along with Ari's synths & well-varied kick-yo-mouf percussion, which added a lot of power and depth to Ryan's solo version of the track. Go for an extended version and play around with more ideas, if you're up for it, Ryan.

NO

Honestly, the length does not really bother me. I know that there have been extended remixes of short tracks in the past, but I think this one really gets the job done and explores/expands the original well in its current form. Solid amount of variation and improv stuff, GREAT production and execution. I wouldn't have expected a remix like this could be done with such minimal, difficult original material. I wouldn't be too upset if this got rejected due to length, because more length certainly wouldn't hurt, but I think it's passable in its current state.

YES

hm...tricky.

No one else has mentioned it, so this might just be me, but I felt that the drums were overcompressed and far too loud- they really started to hurt my ears after awhile. The ending is completely non-existent and it really is too short; you need to flesh out this piece more. But, on the plus side, there's a lot of energy here and some nice synth work.

At the end of the day though, this mix smacks of unfulfilled promise.

NO

Pretty cool. I remember hearing the wip version and prot definitely did make this more polished. Enjoyed the synth lead a lot, which I'm guessing prot made. It's my favorite part of the mix. The synth work is quite good and sounds like a trademark of protricity's other mixes. Rhythms, drum sequencing were good as well. Though, as Israfel, I thought it was mixed in too loudly and is dominating the mix too much.

Neat mix and certainly a credit to the DKC project, but the main failing of the mix for me has been covered by other judges; due to the short length of the mix there is untapped potential. Which isn't directly linked to the short length of the mix per se, but in this case it just feels unfulfilled or incomplete in this context.

borderline NO.

• 2 weeks later...
hm...tricky.

No one else has mentioned it, so this might just be me, but I felt that the drums were overcompressed and far too loud- they really started to hurt my ears after awhile.

I'm getting that too, but I think it's just personal preference. Some people like this sound.

Anyway this mix is too short. Good ideas, nice groove, but not enough development at all. Lets get the extended mix, ok?

MORE PLEASE!

NO