*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Zehpyr'

djpretzel

There seems to be a lot of off-key here, I'm not sure if it's just my ears, but things just don't seem to fit at times. Some notes just seem off, the arpeggios keep going even though they don't really have any harmonic relation to the chord progression underneath it. It's not even that blatant, but it is bothering me.

Nice slow calm mix, doesn't really have an ending. The off-keyness means a

NO

First off - I am the one and only DB. Get a new remixer name.

Cool pads starting off. I agree that the arpeggios are simply....wrong. I tried to listen past it and hear it as a timbre-enhancing weirdness, but nah - it's just off.

The percussion is effective, but exceedingly simplistic. It could use at least a little bit more variation. Some kind of rhythmic fills or dynamics would help.

The entire mix sounds like it's on auto-pilot with regards to dynamics.

Good sounds used here, the vox are kinda cool, but they also don't seem to fit the key. Work on making the dissonance more acceptable or consider just making those areas consonant.

NO

-D

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 114 "Breezy"

Where's the variation in the percussion? Like Dan says, bring some more in there with some fills. The additions don't have to be anything that isn't subtle. As it stands, these snapping drum shots, along with the hat patterns and whatever that low-note synth is on support starting at :36, are always the same.

No problem here with the arpeggios or vox, but we'll see if anyone else has a problem with 'em. Liking the pads as well. This is simply one of those tracks that has a good genere idea for an arrangement, but then doesn't quite realize the potential of the idea.

The ending was pretty sudden/uneventful/I-ran-out-of-ideas-ish as well. Lengthen it out a bit and fashion a more satisfying resolution.

Interesting spin on "Breezy", Dan, but it needs a bit more to it to keep things a bit more varied. Hook it up with some more varied percussion so you're not on cruise conrol there along with a real ending for a YES. If you do in fact go for a resubmission, be sure to PM a judge about it. I'd like to see you go for one.

NO (revise & resubmit)

The pads and drumwork that start off this mix are so great despite the simplicity. I had high expectations, but once a number of elements started to sound off for me, it went downhill. This is a tricky one for sure, but I suggest going back and checking into these. The vocals are pretty cool, it reminds me of the Mortal Kombat ending theme.

Pretty cool despite the flaws though. Borderline no. Please work on this more and resubmit.