*NO* Tetris (NES [Nintendo & Tengen]) 'Purple Megamix'

djpretzel

Hello,

Here is my latest remix

ReMixer : DarK PurPLe

Name : Francis Veilleux Gaboury a.k.a. Phrancis Email : djphrancis@hotmail.com Website : www.Phrancis-Productions.com

Game(s) : Tetris and Tetris by Tengen (Tetris-t)

Song(s) : In order, "Intro", "Kalinka", "Troika", "Loginska" (Tengen), "Bradinsky" (Tengen), "Technotris", "Level Up"

Comments : The 4th and final version of my Tetris megamix. The first version was made about 5 years ago on MTV Music Generator. And it sucked. Then in winter 2004 I began remaking it with Fruity Loops (and as a General MIDI file), which took well over 30 hours to re-arrange. Then a few months ago, I decided to use the General MIDI file and assign instruments from Reason to it, tweaked it a lot, mixed it down with professionnal gear, and here it is, finally! I hope you'll enjoy it, I put a lot of my time (over 100 hours I

bet) and sweat into that! :)

Intro: Well your gameboy must have been broken, cause mine didn't sound like that...lol

This sounds a bit muffled....what, 96kbps? I should no it just for that, no but seriously, you should at least put it at 128. Oh, now I see what's going on, this remix is 8 minutes long. There's no point in mixing it down with professional gear when we can't appreciate the quality of the mix because of such a low encoding rate.

There isn't a lot here, it seems there is just melody, bass and drums for a lot of the time. Now that can work if you flesh it out properly, but this sounds quite gm ish, and added to the low quality of the whole thing, I can't pass this.

4.10-4.20: Nasty kick overload.

5.40: Ok this is sounding somewhat fuller.

This isn't up to OC standards.

NO

I personally think that 100 hours is way too long to spend on one song.

There isn't a lot here, it seems there is just melody, bass and drums for a lot of the time. Now that can work if you flesh it out properly, but this sounds quite gm ish, and added to the low quality of the whole thing, I can't pass this.

4.10-4.20: Nasty kick overload.

You read MY mind, Stephen, lemme tell you. Sorry Francis, but no matter how much time you spent on it (and I'm not saying that 100 is too much, mind you), this is just a cover medley with some basic-as-hell stuff under it. There are some decent instrumental changes, but not much beyond that. It practically doesn't get any more simplified of a remix than this.

Hope you're not too discouraged by the rejection here. I'm a BIG fan of Super Mario Bros. 2 "The DarK Underground". It's one of the first mixes I ever download from OCR and one of the ones that really illustrates how you can completely take an original track and turn it into something brand new.

I'm not gonna really harp on the production. You went for the sacrifice to get it under the size limit, and that's admirable, but go for VBR next time. I've seen this mix at VGMix (with a higher bitrate of course), and honestly that's really the place for it. Nonetheless, I really hope you'll continue working on game remix material, especially since I haven't heard anything from you in over two years. Good to still see you around, and I'll check out whatever else you have at your site.

NO

i listened to the 128kbps version of the mix the guy had on his site so i wouldn't have to whine about the encoding.

there's a few things i like about this mix:

the bass is nice and thick.

the percussion sequencing is varied and nice.

the general feel of the mix is quite pleasing.

some of the transitions work, others feel lazy...

but the main problem is this mix just goes on and on!

it's easy to make a long remix if it's a medly,

but comprimises must made in order to fit many songs together, as is the case here.

maybe try something simpler?

my life does not allow me to spend more than 10 hours on a remix, if that even...

no

Main problems are already pointed out, but let me reiterate. First, a lot of the times it does indeed sound very sparse. Most of the time it's just the melody, drums. This needs more pads or synths in the middle frequencies in my opinion. Try adding more in either instrumentation or composition to help here.

Second issue, for using reason and other high end gear, this sounds very average in production and sound quality. Most of it sounds like a GM soundfont with little processing. Third and slightly minor complaint, I think this is way too long a mix. It's hard to keep the attention of a listener on an 8 minute mix.

A couple of good points in the mix:

There are a lot of cool ideas that mesh pretty well together. It is obvious you spent a lot of work here. The drum sequencing is particularly good.

Needs more polish and work. NO