*NO* Gargoyle's Quest 'Scorching Resonance' *FT*

Liontamer

I submitted a song awhile back, & I've yet to see it on the judges panel, nor did I get a rejection thingy.

It's a remix of the overworld theme from Gargoyle's Quest. I'm not sure if it'll pass current OCR standards, but maybe it will. I don't know the specific date I sent it in. All I know is that it was September 4 give or take a few days. Here's the required fields:

My handle: Da Joker

My name: David L. Puga

My email: Davejkr@prodigy.net

My website: http://eof.servehttp.com/dajoker

My Forum Number: Not really sure, just another brick in the wall I guess.

Game: Gargoyle's Quest

Orig. Song: Overworld theme

Oh, & I uploaded the song before I knew who the composer was. So, it's not in the tag. Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.

Later lates,

Joker

www.zophar.net/gbs/garquest.zip I think this is number 12.

A lot of compression here, I can hear ducking on the beat straight away. Nice drum beat, with some nasty sounding violins (1.12). Texture is quite sparse. 2nd half is much better.

This is quite good considering the source, but the violins don't sound too nice, and it is quite empty sounding overall. The last bit starting at 3 mins sounded a lot fuller, so you can make a thicker texture.

NO

Needs more work.

Really slow attack on the melodic strings. Definitely doesn't sound good, and someone else'll get you on that too. From :57-1:20, the support brass and drumwork absolutely snuffs out the melodic components. Adjust the sound balance there.

:09-1:16 & 1:52-2:40 featured the same drum patterns over and over again. Gotta use some notable changes in the patterns, only more frequently.

Some really unnatural note movements from 1:37-1:43. Even though there's some depth to the instruments, I see what Malc is saying about the emptiness, as soon as the louder strings drop out at 1:58. The lead instrument sample starting at 1:52 (sounds like some very flismy brass) is pretty artifical-sounding here.

The percussion support from 3:00-3:10 really doesn't sit well with the brass/woodwind work. That woodwind at 3:33-3:36 sounds incredibly fake and decays too quickly, ruining the ending. When it was layered underneath the brass, it wasn't a problem, but alone it's pretty bad. Just get rid of that and let the brass take it home at 3:31 for its last note.

To be honest, I felt like the arrangement never really went anywhere. Though there's substantial rearrangement, this mix doesn't run with the melodic motifs of the original particularly well. I'm not saying this is terrible or anything, but I'd just take in the EXP points from this effort or whatever y'all RPG players do and call this one finished. Keep at it & keep on learning, David.

NO

Pretty cool. Some of my main issues as noted are definitely the slow attack on some of the semifast notes for the strings. Some of the compositional and instrumental aspects of the mix result in a very sparse, thin sounding mix.

I like the drumwork but throughout the mix it sounds kind of static. As analoq said, the mix can't seem to find forward momentum, on top of that it's not a chill out slow piece either. I would work on the composition again, add more instrumentation and change up the rhythms a bit as it progresses. A unique mix, but it needs more polish and work, to pass.

Some of the highlights for me is the interesting woodwind writing. It adds a nice texture to the piece. I would focus on adding complimentary sections. Keep at it, this shows promise.

NO