Digger T Rock (Dave Wise) Trip-hop Remix

DarkSim

This is one of those tunes I've been meaning to remix for years, tried a few times, but now I've properly got to grips with Ableton Live and particularly the samples included in the Essential Instrument Collection 2, I thought I'd have a crack at it. Not sure what genre it is so I've gone for trip-hop.

Source material

My effort

I'd appreciate comments on humanisation and how to improve (if needed - haha), overall arrangement, and if it's too conservative. I've added a considerable amount of improv over the top of what is basically the source for almost the entire song. Also I'm not too sure about the percussion - I found a trip-hop sample loop and cut it up a bit, adding some timpani and a ride cymbal towards the end but I'm not sure that's enough. Thoughts?

Thanks a lot, enjoy!

The whole track seems too heavy on the lows and with a bit too much reverb. The drums a bit excessively heavy too, tho hard to say if reducing the lows a bit is enough to fix that. Interesting source, conservative arrangement but in a new genre. I'd say it's too conservative, but hard to say for sure without learning the source.