*NO* Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 'TurboSlayer'

djpretzel

Email sub file Locutus - Lotus TurboSlayer.mp3 - djp

Hello,

my remixer name is "Locutus" and I have done a remix of the "Lotus II - Turbo Challange Title Theme" (originally composed by Barry Leitch and published by Eletronic Arts). The name of my remix is "Lotus TurboSlayer".

The game was released on the Commodore Amiga and on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive as far as I know.

I have included a link to the original version (in the Amiga MOD format):

http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=NjQ4

Comments:

I used to play the game on my old Sega Genesis. I really liked the music and the game itself, though it certainly is not beatable (by far too difficult).

:-) Years later, I thought about doing a remix with FruityLoops. The name of the remix derives from the plugin that simulates the e-guitar. I have recorded the lead e-guitar's and the plucked string's notes using my keyboard (conntected to the MIDI interface). I think, this makes music sound more real. If not, let me know. I'd like any feedback! :-) (end comment)

I hope you can use my remix. :-)

Greetings,

locutus

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Leitch_Barry/Lotus_2.lha - Bootup (mod.bootup)

Just add ".mod" to the end of the filename if you can't play it out of the unzipped archive.

First things first. This could afford to be louder. The arrangement/composition isn't bad, but the energy here is really dry thanks to these generic synths and repetitive foundations.

Gonna have to thicken some of these synths up with effects to help downplay how artificial they sound, like the synth acoustic & electric guitars. They give interesting sounds here, but need something more.

Hitting the 1:30 mark of this nearly 3 minute mix, the composition doesn't change or progress. This isn't interesting or spirited enough to warrant not changing up the flow at all. Needs a lot more attention paid to filling out the instrumentation and being creative on the arrangement the whole way through, rather than taking some good ideas there and not changing anything round the entire 3 minutes.

NO

The bass for me here is waay too boxy and not tight at all. About 2/3 of the way through, you're wondering if it will change, because there isn't a break here at all, it just continues on the same vein for the entirety of the mix.

I like the electric guitar sound a lot, but most of the other sounds are too dry.

More than anything though, this is very boring and it's only 3 minutes. Mix it up a bit.

NO

err, muddy bass.

i heard better uses out of that mechanical 'pluck' sound.

some of the percussion sequencing is decent, nice attempt at fills.

though the drums, like everything in this mix, just lacks tightness.

when i think of 'blurry' sounding music, i don't think of psychedelic stuff, i think of this sort of thing.

it just sounds lo-fi and out-of-focus.

start over?

no

The arrangement and composition is pretty good.

Main problem here is the production. Everything sounds muddy. There is no attention paid to the high frequencies. Everything sounds like low and lower mid frequencies. Very lofi sounding as well. The lead isn't very nice sounding. This needs more effects processing to add more dimension to these sounds.

Pretty decent, but it's let down by a number of production weaknesses. NO