*NO* Katamari Damacy 'Katamari on the Drugs'

djpretzel

You can check us out on our site: www.coreyvscorey.com

Your ReMixer name: Corey vs Corey

Your real name: Mike, Josh, Criss

Your email address: criss@coreyvscorey.com

ReMix title: Katamari on the Drugs

This is a rock version of the theme to Katamari Damashii on the PS2. It was originally composed by Yu Miyake, Masayuki Tanaka.

It is a Namco release. You can find info on the soundtrack at www.namco.com

We are living on an island in south Texas recording a rock album. We do quite a bit of gaming during breaktime. The gameplay and soundtrack to Katamari Damashii impressed the hell out of us. After about 2 hours of playing we all had the theme song stuck in our heads. We went into the garage, put together our own version, and (having our resources) recorded it. The whole process took about 4 days incuding mixdown and mastering. We are sick of this song now, but everyone on the net seems to love it. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock, jazz, country, soul & more. Find the music you love on MSN Music!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot to Kaleb Grace as usual, for his help on obtaining the source tune. Offbeat, but it grew on me and it's very well produced. I've played some Katamari Damacy material on VGF after hearing it from Song of the Week, so y'all out there need to check the soundtrack out. You Js dig around the source track; pieces are used from different points of the source.

It's no coincidence that people have already started mixing from this game with a lot of enthusiasm. Katamari Damacy is quickly being known for it's kick ass in-game music and "WTF is that?" gameplay. Weird puzzle games are where it's at apparently.

Corey vs. Corey have been getting some good pimpage on the internet with this one. It's fairly decent. I'm not expecting something needlessly professional sounding, but production's a big hit on this one (regardless of the genre). If you look at the EQing on it, it's basically some low end, a huge low mid-range, no high mid-range, and no high end; the whole upper half of frequencies is practically absent. Get the rest of the mid-range in the picture.

Y'all need to create some discernible separation of sounds here through EQing work as well as panning. All the music just muds together with no level of clarity, and the vocals are really low compared the music, so they don't stand out at all.

I liked how you guys used the "Chu chu churu" part from the source tune to open this up; it's definitely a hot idea, but as soon as most of the music came in at :11 and then the lead vocals at :22, you couldn't hear them anymore. The delivery on the melodic vocals (:22-:43 & 1:06-1:27) sounds pretty unenergetic, so that needs some more put into 'em in my opinion, but I liked the choruses (:45-1:07 & 1:30-1:48) a hell of a lot. For some parts, I kinda wonder if you guys are singing the actual lyrics or if you're singing what you THINK are the lyrics, which is pretty funny. Fairly good genre adaptation stuff here. Some other Js will have more specific advice for hooking the production up, as well criticism for the instrumentation.

I also gotta stress that the bitrate limit for any submission is 192kbps. I realize that the track is relatively short, but this 194VBR encoding is too large nonetheless. Besides, if the production is better, it'll sound fine no matter what the bitrate, even 128kbps. Y'all should resubmit, boys. I really liked this one a lot, and think you can nudge it over the bar with some good post-production work. I'll be keeping my eye on your material!

NO (touch it up/resubmit)

the recording is good. the EQ is not. the top is definately absent. This is particularly noticeable during the guitar solo.

aside from the EQ, the arrangement is a little bit straightforward. the song is only 2:42, and yet the form repeats twice almost identically, then there's a completely unspectacular guitar solo, then end.

nice demo, lets fix the eq and introduce some slightly more sophisticated arrangement ideas, then we'll talk.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

You need to roll that big ass ball over some HIGH FREQUENCIES PLEASE. Needs EQ like peanut butter needs jelly.

Vig said it best; lets see some more sophisticated arrangement ideas. What we have here is a conflict of inter...uh, I mean, what we have here is a good start to what could be totally awesome.

WORK IT ON OUT (work it on out)

NO

I really like the vibe here. There's plenty of energy, and there's no qualms about playing ability. I have no problems with the arrangement, this effectively uses the KD melody we all know and love. This could easily be a track in the game.....

If it weren't for the sound quality. It's a very muddy recording. There is little definition between frequencies - EQ is very necessary here. The whole thing is 192 KBPS, but it sounds more like 64. TLC on the SQ, or you're SOL.

I really want to see this posted, the arrangement is totally fine by me - let's get this puppy past the sound quality issues and get 'er on the front page.

NO

-D