*NO* Metal Gear Solid 3 'Lineage of the Snake'

djpretzel

----(sorry, I hit send on accident)----

I'm a newcomer (well, at least new to submitting) at OC, so I apologize in advance for any of this whole submission process I might not be doing right. I read the guidelines and I did set up the ID3v2 tags wrong, but I can't change it now where I have it hosted. Sorry about that, but I do have the information in here that should go where it should have been.

Title: Lineage of the Snake

Artist: Cubed777

Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Composer: Harry Gregson-Williams

Location of file:

Size: 5.24 MB

Length: 5:43

Year: 2004

I don't really have any comments to leave about the song (in the event that it gets posted), what you guys say will be plenty. I'm sorry about my errors in this whole submission process :P --I hope you like the song.

--A.J. Prack

Cubed777

The corrected tags (these are the ones you had highlighted in red)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4.2.1 TAL Album/Movie/Show title ALWAYS = http://www.ocremix.org

4.2.1 TCM Composer ALWAYS = Exact Original Game Music Composer(s) E.G.

= Harry Gregson-Williams

4.2.1 TCO Content type ALWAYS = Game

4.2.1 TCR Copyright message ALWAYS = Exact Game Publisher E.G. = Konami

4.2.1 TOA Original artist(s)/performer(s) ALWAYS = Exact System/Platform of Game ReMixed E.G. = Playstation 2

4.2.1 TOT Original album/Movie/Show title ALWAYS = Exact Name of Game E.G. = Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

4.2.1 TP1 Lead artist(s)/Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)/Performing group ALWAYS = Exact ReMixer Name E.G. = Cubed777

4.2.1 TPA Part of a set ALWAYS = Exact ReMixID assigned by djpretzel at time of posting E.G. = ????????

4.2.1 TT2 Title/Songname/Content description ALWAYS = Exact name of Game [space] Exact name of ReMix [space] OC ReMix E.G. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Lineage of the Snake OC ReMix

4.2.1 TYE Year ALWAYS = Exact Year ReMix Posted on OCR E.G. = 2004

I never thought I would ever say this in my whole life, but there is too much reverb on the strings. The whole mix is flooded in reverb! Especially that kick drum. When the strings come in, the whole mix gets way too loud all of a sudden.

This sounds as if it could be a really nice expressive mix if it was mixed properly, each instrument needs to sit in the right place, and reverb applied to each instrument seperately.

The drum beats are just lost in the reverb, and the string sounds just wash over everything like a jug of water spilt over a painting.

Put the reverb and the instrument levels right and this will be a yes. There's a good mix hidden under there somewhere. I'm just repeating myself over and over again here!

NO

I dunno, I just don't like mixer handles with numbers at the end. Sounds incredibly n00by & AOL-ish. Well, despite trying, I'm not gonna successfully scour 3 different Metal Gear Solid soundtracks to find the source tunes. That's what I get for not playing 'em. Next time, detail which themes you mixed. If we don't have the source tunes, and you look like you could be YESed, you only hold up the process for yourself. In any case, I can only iterate that the sound balance is absolutely awful.

Everything from 1:16-1:28 & 4:04-5:18 is an absolute mess on the production. Couldn't you tell that this sounded too crowded? There was generally too much vox and especially reverbed strings in the forefront here instead of your melodic components. If the supporting instruments drastically drown out the lead instruments, you will get NOed.

The transition to piano at 1:52 is so chipper and compared to what was in place before, which was a darker, brooding buildup with suspenseful vox. You might want to see if there's a way to make that change in feel less abrupt, or at least explain why you went that route instead of going the "I won't tell you anything until I'm posted" route. Believe me, I want the info behind the creation of the track now, rather than later.

The synth electric guitar coming in at 3:34 and the other at 3:52 handling the melody are absolutely generic and bootleg. They provide terrible contrast with the rest of the more orchestral/psuedo-realistic sounds here, and you flat-out need to find something that sounds better there. The vox notes from 3:34-3:52 sound incredibly unnatural moving from note to note as well.

The track seems to be decent, even though the ending is incredibly abrupt. If you can fix the production on it, you'll have much more of a shot, but I'll be scrutanizing the arrangement and the source tunes heavily if it looks like it has a chance. Keep at it, but for the love of Jesus (happy birthday, Jesus!), please achieve the right sound balance. The fondations here sound good, so you could definitely make it if you reasessed the overall presentation.

NO (drastically refine & resubmit)