*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Evigilo Insperatus' *RESUB*

OceansAndrew

• 1 month later...

The piano sounds much better, and gives this a much better feel.

I really think the piano is the strong point of the song, carrying the mood, and leading the transitions. Some very interesting dissonant line, but they are always in the background, giving this track a lot of depth. This is a very solid atmospheric shift to the original, and has a lot of crazy little details hidden away in the reverb.

Sounds good. :-)

Yes

• 1 month later...

intro was very promising, but I wasn't digging the weak reverbed bass at :55, though by 1:15 you couldn't even hear it. I didn't think the drums fit very well with the loose, ambient feel you have going either, and were mechanically sequenced (esp. the snare rolls). by 1:25 or so when everything's firing on all cannons, the mixing gets a bit muddy too. the booming reverb in the background at 3:40 was kinda overdone and detracted from the rest of the arrangement imo.

I don't wanna sound too harsh here because I like the approach to the arrangement and a lot of your pads and piano sound really great, but I think this has a host of issues holding it back from a pass. it seems like you drowned everything else in reverb in an effort to make it more texturally cohesive, but I think that's working against you in this case. loosen up those drums, pull back the reverb and try to thicken up the lower end of the mix.

NO(resub)

• 2 weeks later...

I was really feeling this until the drums came in. Like halc said, they didn't fit the soundscape too well, too boomy, too prominent, and hollow-sounding. I think some low pass-filtered might have sat better, something warmer and out of the way. While I am often a fan of mild dissonance for effect, I didn't like how long it persisted here, and after a while, it got tiring. Finally, at 3:38, when the low piano notes came in, there was some distortion as if there wasn't enough room carved out for them. Sorry, David - while I like a lot of this, there's still some parts that aren't working to me.

NO (resubmit)

Gotta echo the concerns on the drums here. They really stick out over everything and are pretty stiff sounding. It's really a beautiful ambient soundscape you've developed here, which really doesn't gel with the percussion work. There's some good advice above on how to fix them.

Got some distortion near the end with the entrance of the low piano notes. Sounds like there's a lot of fighting with the various other elements here - notably the kick. Kick has a ton of reverb at this point, which may be the main culprit (I still heard some distortion even when the low piano notes stopped playing).

There's lots of promise here, but production needs some tightening up. Hope to see this one back here soon.

No, resubmit please

• 2 weeks later...

I love the groove, but the writing here is really clumsy. There are bad notes everywhere, the pads are slow.

No real reason to go into too much minute detail. The soundscape here is really nice. There are some really excellent sonic ideas like the breath noises, but the writing and arrangement leave a lot to be improved upon.

NO