*NO* Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap 'Live from the Minish Fest'

djpretzel

Greetings, djpretzel!

Remixer CountCurt here. I do a bit of arranging/remixing here and there, but I haven't posted anything up on OC, so I'm new. Here's a little something I cooked up for myself that I thought the community might like. I was playing the new Zelda: The Minish Cap for the GBA recently and the Minish Festival song from the beginning of the game really caught my ear. I'm a fan of Renaissance music and this song really captured that feel. I decided not to stray too far from the original and used instrumentation to mimick that of the Renaissance: guitar, oboe, bassoon, pan flute, cello, bass, and tambourine. I added in the cheer samples for fun as I thought of what it might have been like to be at a Renaissance festival listening to live minstrels perform. It's a fun, short, straightforward piece and I hope you like it. The link to download the song is found at

Take care and God bless!

Curt

http://www.zophar.net/gsf/minishcap_gsf.rar - 06 "Picori Festival"

So a quick trip to GameFAQs provides the release dates for this game:

GameFAQs]Zelda no Densetsu: Fushigi no Boushi Nintendo 11/04/04 JP

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap Nintendo 11/12/04 EU

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap Nintendo 01/10/05 NA

Considering the latest submission e-mail from this batch was November 11th, I'm just wondering how the hell you managed to do this. A time machine?!?

Anyway, it's not bad. Nonetheless, I'll sum this up in 3 points:

1. A mere reinstrumented cover

2. You didn't use "cheer samples"; you used one cheer sample twice

3. 2 minutes and 16 seconds

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty neat, I think Israfel needs to weigh in on this, since he is probably the most informed about this genre than any of us.

I think the instrumentation sounds pretty authentic for this genre. The sound/sample and production quality is pretty mediocre though.

Main problem is average arrangement. I would try to make this mix your own in some manner or form. Try to mix things up, move sections around, expand the harmony or melody.

I did enjoy the tambourine rhythm section and some of the brief clever writing here and there though. Not bad at all. It's an average attempt, but below the bar. Better luck next time. NO

You rang? :P

I'm pretty much with Larry on this one. It's a bit too conservative in its arrangement and I don't think that the additions, such as 1:00, are strong enough to make up the difference.

And it doesn't really sound like any renaissance piece I've heard, but that's not such a big deal. I would have however suggest ditching the cheer samples. While I understand why they're there, they become a bit tiresome after repeated listenings.

NO

Yep. Definately not a renaissance piece. Renaissance pieces don't have this kind of repetition and direction. They also don't have GM MIDI quality. There are no velocity changes here, and an overall lack of dynamics. The arrangement is uninspired and directly linked to the original. Make it yours.

My compatriots summed everything else up nicely.

NO

-D