*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Faded Memoirs'

djpretzel

Hello! As the subject line implies, I have a little something for you to listen to. Not sure what to say, really. This is the first song I've ever finished that I have been more than satisfied with.

First, my info...

Member name: MakoServitor

My Site: http://www.deviantsun.com

Now for a bit of song info.

I've always been a big fan of FF7, and judging by the number of remixes done, so are a ton of other people. This first contribution to the remix gene pool is intended as a sort of alternate opening theme for the game; more specifically, based on the very first musical sentence you hear upon first turning on the console. That little tinkling "oh man, here we go." I attempted to give those first chilling measures their own tribute, which then fades into a few bits from the opening theme itself, then finally to Aeris' theme -- but only at the very end.

I'll shut up now, as the music will speak for itself from here on out. Thanks for listening!

-L

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 102 "Opening - Bombing Mission" (:00-1:22), 201 "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII" (1:28-2:08), FF8 117 "Tell Me" (2:27-2:46) & 101 "The Prelude" (2:47-2:58)

The intro wasn't bad, but not quite melancholy and emotive like the intention seemed to be. Just a subjective comment on the first listen, as it gets better over time. The synths aren't that hot, but do a serviceable job.

Alright, we're at 1:30 and finally more noticeable things have started happening, including a swell as 1:52. At this point though, I realized the track is deliberately paced like this and it won't change. This seems to just play sections from several tracks without doing anything substantial on the arrangement. The slow pace keeps the changes from being jarring, but there's no real direction here at all.

Frankly, I think the track's pretty damn cool, and I'm keeping it, but if you took out the ambiance, it's just a very drawn out, minimalist medley to me. I feel as if more original compositional ideas are needed beyond ambiance + slow renditions of several FF tracks. Maybe someone else besides me will be feeling this though.

NO

i was liking this until i realized i wasn't listening to an intro... i was listening to the meat!

i like the slow mood, it could easily be part of a dramatic underscoring.

but i'm wondering if this could have been fleshed out more. it doesn't seem like the most could have been made out of this idea.

i imagine Gray could do something quite elaborate with this concept ;)

oh and the ending left me bitter.

no

This was actually fairly enjoyable I thought, but I never felt that the piece was going anywhere. Now, I don't mean that you need a big dynamic buildup, as that would likely ruin the feel of the mix, but you need some sort of climax to be working towards so that there is a satisfying sense of form. That climax might be achieved rhythmically, harmonically, timbrally etc., but there needs to be some sort of development of ideas to create tension and resolution. As it is, the piece is a bit emotionally flatlined. And this particular mix would likely benefit from a significantly increased length.

NO