peter kim

xrisingforce@gmail.com

www.youtube.com/xrisingforcex

submission info:

rockman zero 4

esperanto -theme of rockman zero 4-

source:

link: http://tindeck.com/listen/mzpw

with this arrangement i sought to singularize the multi-faceted gem that is esperanto. the original seems to take on the narrative voice of zero; his response to the oppression and genocide that run rampant in rockman zero’s dystopian reality. he awakens from stasis to mere traces of the world he fought to protect in the past, and the song speaks of his noble decision to ultimately press onward in the face of insurmountable odds. an old war hero against the backdrop of a crumbling world, one gets the sense that he truly understands the futility of war and there are overtones of finality as he resolves to make the ultimate sacrifice to propagate his ideals

feel free to keep the link up when it gets rejected

----------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I like this mix, and I really like how you treated the source here. I think the arrangement works very well, slowing it down adds a bit more emotion to it. As you said, it gives the impression that Zero is going to carry on and do what he can do, no matter the odds. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the guitar and piano pseudo-doubling at times. I'd consider revising that, either going for a counter melody, or simple harmony in the piano instead.

The production has a few issues that I think need to be addressed. The opening is a bit reverb heavy, and things are pretty muddy. Overall the reverb could be turned down a bit. The bass synth is loud overall, and it's overcrowding everything, but especially the piano lead, which could come up just a tad. The string attack is pretty slow when it comes in as well.

I'd say this is a good candidate for a resub, I hope you fix this up.

NO (please resubmit)

Great transformation of the track; the tempo change really gives it a cool feeling, and the soundscape is reminiscent of the original while still having a lot of inspired nuances that set it apart.

The guitar playing is excellent, but I feel it could be brought out a little bit, and probably would be best if it was just a straight volume boost by 2db or so.

The production has a very solid base, but could use some minor tweaks to help separate things a bit. The bass is a touch loud, but it's a unique patch, and the part writing is good. Not pristine production, but passable I think.

Overall it's a really nice mix, and a solid arrangement. I'm down.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

Love this arrangement, it's so relaxing and groovy. It's a great fit for the source material and a great mix of instruments. Enjoyable start to finish.

Pretty much the only problem I was seeing here was the bass regions being overcrowded and muddy. It's a fairly sizable problem because the piano gets hard to hear when it is the lead. I would definitely take down the conflicting regions of the bass, and makes tweaks with that whole area. Think I gotta go with Deia with wanting a new version, but it's a really close call. Could see votes going your way on this, so best of luck.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Nice mix here. I really enjoyed the vibe you brought to the track!

I agree with the balance and crowding issues mentioned previously. One thing I'd add is that the drums basically stay on autopilot throughout the track. There are times where one or more parts (hats, snare) will drop out, but the rhythm basically remains the same throughout.

Definitely close one here. If you can fix up those issues, I'd be good passing this one.

No, resubmit please

agreed with my fellow J's, really loving the track, but the balance is a little off; the bass is overpowering, and coupled with all the thick pads and strings, is causing the mix to sound cluttered. I thought the drums were a bit mechanical sounding compared to the rest of the arrangement, but that's just a nitpick for me. would definitely like to see the balance and mixing polished up a little, though.

NO(resub)