*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Gargantuan Enemy'

djpretzel

I tried to submit this before, from a different email account. I never got a confirmation message. I have since found out how entirely unreliable that account was, and hence I'm sending this from a more reliable service.

Anyway here's my information:

Contact info:

Remixer name: Roo

E-mail: moon_man321@yahoo.com (I don't mind that being posted)

Website: The only website I have is a crappy geocities thing I threw together to get my mix to you, which I'd rather not have posted, either. The link to the page with the mix is below.

User ID: I don't know where to find this. I have an account, but I never actually used it.

Remix info:

Game: Final Fantasy 6

Song: Decisive Battle

Comments:

The link to the song can be found on this site: , the actual link is on the right, and says: Final Fantasy 6 - Gargantuan Enemy. All the tag info should be correct. If for some reason that doesn't work, the song can also be found on VGMix at , although the name will end up wrong, and I'm not certain if the tag info is still the same.

I've always like this song, and I noticed the lack of any versions of it on OCRemix, so I thought I might give it a go. However, I'm not a professional mixer by any means, with only what skills I could figure out myself on Fruity Loops, and meager amounts of piano lessons. Still, I think the song works well enough. It's really hard to describe exactly what it is; the thing doesn't fall into any particular genre. I tried to make the drums stick out, thinking of how drums and war go together like peanut and butter (peanut+butter = the oh so yummy peanutbutter), I tried to make the drums stand out. Also, I get a lot of guff about the high pitched fuzzy sorta synth thing that I use in the background of the soung (fades in around 1'18''). Most people hate it, but I'm rather fond of it; I made it myself by seriously tweaking on of the default synths and sending it through a number of filters. Beyond that, the song explains itself much better than anything I can say about it. Hope you like it.

- Roo

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "The Decisive Battle" (ff6-124.spc)

Hate to shit on the effort here, but I'll be perfectly frank with you. At times, this only reminded me of "Retentions of Conflict" thanks to your choice for the lead. The synth choices here were grating and awful.

Also, overusing the cymbals doesn't work. Some of the percussion work had a surprising amount of power behind it. Very beginner stuff, but not bad. The harmonization at 2:03...didn't work.

Anyway, there are a laundry list of problems here. The other Js can earn their salaries by elborating on some. God bless ya bro, only a n00b would think that a tacky cymbal shot ending like that was cool.

You hang around both OCR & VGMix, so use all of the resources at both sites (WIP boards, ReMixing forum, Conservatory forum) in order to study the programs you use and up your game.

NO

I liked the beat on this a lot, and the rhythms. Drum sounds and eq need a lot of attention and the cymbal was overused to death here. Synth choices weren't always the best match for the mix, and the punch that is suggested by all the elements isn't fully expressed.

I think that all of the negative points here are just due to lack of experience with fruity and all the sounds.

Once the mixer gets used to the program, some seriously banging tracks will emerge.

NO

Keep working at it.

the groove is nice. i like the beat and it moves nice but the arrangement lacks too much in terms of quality and a working structure to post.

there's nothing wrong with trying and failing and we are here to help you improve your means of making your music. your instrument choice needs to be refined, you should spend more time thinking on the product of several different combinations of instruments and understanding what it means for them to mesh together because there is a lot of clash in this track and its hardly intentional.

there are the groundings of a good artist so keep at it

for now, though, NO

The beat is great, but the problem lies in the quality and condition of those beats. The choice of synth is messy and tends to overpower the next note, creating a sort of haze where clarity would be much more effective.

Try to distill your work down to its simplest elements. I've found songs that sound this cluttered are usually the result of the author going "Hrmm, I like a whole bunch of ideas, and I'm going to throw them in!". Work simple, and the good stuff will follow.

NO

har har, I still hit chu wif da big NO anyways!