Nutritious - Cave Story Final Battle - The Unbroken

Nutritious

I'm late to the party on this mix, but I have to say, epic orchestral introduction + beatz is right up my alley...

And this doesn't disappoint. Very good stuff!

I'm going to nitpick, though, rather than just say how awesome it is, which is true.

-The main snare sample is off. It's either too long or pitched too high, or some combination of the two. An easy fix, cause it's the perfect sound other than that. :razz:

-The kick also lacks some thump, try adding a slight hump at 90hz.

-Where's the bass? I hear the subbass, but I keep waiting for a really nasty reese at some point

Also, the vocals don't sound right because they are sitting very hot in the mix and have lots of mid-lo frequencies - try dipping 400hz and see if that doesn't clear it up.

Maybe true Raptor, but I find it somewhat a feel akin to the songs that "Pendulum" do. It is quite a nice mix.

That's cause of the sub bass and a missing feel where proto says he's not hearing a bass. I personally like the feel now, but it's a legit crit. In any event, Pendulum does it a lot, so that's the similarity.

The vocals do have that hang over in the highs. I can go either way on this, I either want it more mechanical and really brought out (as the vocals first come in, and in the high notes) or I want it cleaned up a touch. I kinda feel like I want it brought out, but that's all preference and I am crazy, so...

All and all, this track is good as is, even with the crits, so. Good luck.

Thanks again for all the comments, guys. I'd be remiss if I didn't take a look at this again after the excellent feedback.

New "final" version:

img.php?fid=1147

Thanks for the title ideas. I've gone ahead and named it "The Unbroken" to tie it in with the lyrics. Song changes below.

-The main snare sample is off. It's either too long or pitched too high, or some combination of the two. An easy fix, cause it's the perfect sound other than that. :razz:

-The kick also lacks some thump, try adding a slight hump at 90hz.

-Where's the bass? I hear the subbass, but I keep waiting for a really nasty reese at some point

Also, the vocals don't sound right because they are sitting very hot in the mix and have lots of mid-lo frequencies - try dipping 400hz and see if that doesn't clear it up.

-Snare: I slightly rolled off some of the high freqs on it, but I'm actually pretty happy with where it is. Probably matter of opinion eh? :)

-Reese: Wasn't sure exactly where to fit this in, but I layered a Reese line in with the main melody synth the second and third time it plays. I actually tried to include a reese line in the song originally, but had problems with it muddying up everything. Seems like it was clashing with the "guitary" synth repeating part. Good point here, though, and I hope I've satisfied the requirement ;).

-Vocals: Backed off their levels a little and rolled off some of the problem mids.

Thanks for nitpicking, those are my favorite crits :).

I'll be mighty surprised if this doesn't get in.

This is pretty awesome feeling.

It has a nice buildup, great feel from the vocals, the drums are fantastic, AND it's my favourite genre.

This couldn't possibly, to me at least, get any better... Oh wait it's Cave Story...

+30 awesome points.

It just got better.