*NO* Mega Man 3 'Meinde Fik Hunden'

djpretzel

Email sub file Meinde Fik Hunden.mp3 - djp

Here's another hip-hop one. My good friend Daniel Rios is rapping in the beginning, then me and another guy take it over. Protoman's Theme called Meinde Fik Hunden. I can provide lyrics later.

~DJ Crono

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?

Meet the all-new My Yahoo! Try it today!

I like the vocal work here. The clean recording and processing is what impressed me most, but the texture of the vocals and their rhythm are also good. The overall production isn't quite as good - the piano sample is REALLY poor, for instance. Please find a better sample, there are definitely free ones far better than the one you are using! The whistle instrument playing Protoman's theme could probably be brought out a little bit more too, or at least changed to something else to be more interesting. The drum sequencing is good, and I like the rhythm; not a big fan of the phasing stuff though, nor the low-pitch snare.

However, production is not the problem here. I think the arrangement is simply not interpretive enough. There's not much going on at all besides the vocals and drums: additional layering, changes in instrumentation, tempo changes, or key changes would certainly spice things up. If that's not your particular style, that's cool too. Aside from a few technical issues, I think this is a good rap mix. Nonetheless, you need to go that extra step with arrangement for this site.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - Track 19

This was a decent track. Navid (Mythril Nazgul) had me play it on VGF43 and it got lots of potential. The piano sample is terrible, but it's the only one Jovette uses as far as I know, so I don't really know if you're ever gonna hear him bring out anything else.

This German stuff starting at 1:28, I don't like how it's inclusion was glossed over in the submission letter. "My good friend Daniel Rios is rapping in the beginning, then me and another guy take it over." That kind of implies that you know this other guy who did those, but I find it hard to believe you wouldn't even know the guy's name. You ran over his lyrics at 1:48 when the timing changed, so I'm assuming they're sampled like other foreign language lyrics you've used before. If that's the case, why not just state that? If not, what's the other guy's name?

I think for just using the Protoman whistle and the first few bars from the intro theme, that the arrangement needed to offer a lot more. The instrumentation that handles the actual source usage, like the whistle and the piano in particular, are very sparse sure, but the interpretation is too straightforward. I'd certainly like to see the mix use more compositional ideas from the source or actually rearrange what's being used.

Production and performance are usually shortcomings I cite with DJC's submissions and this is no exception, in contrast with zircon's vote. They weren't dealbreakers like in other past submissions though, but I will cite what I heard nonetheless.

Most of the time, the lyrics obscure everything except the percussion. I liked Daniel's lyrics but felt Crono's lyrics were really dry and needed some additional depth. The layering on them was good though, but thicken the sound up on them. The performance on the lyrics from 2:11-2:31 seemed a little too fast for you to handle without mushmouthing some of the words together, but it was alright.

The percussion stuff seemed fine to me but needed some pattern variation somewhere in the track. Nothing drastic mind you; I realize the genre. But the beatwork goes on pure cruise control once it starts at :24. Bring back some of the earlier percussion ideas you had there and possibly expand on them as well.

The piano sounds incredibly muffled and distant. You might be able to pull that off with little complaint when someone's signing, but during music-only portions like :13-:33 and especially your close from 3:05-3:57. Get the ending to at least taper off as opposed to suddenly cutting off at 3:57.

Needs more creative interpretation of the source material, and more post-production work to get things sounding fuller and cleaner is possible. Like zirc said himself though, this primarily falters on an arrangement level.

NO (revise/resubmit)

The percussion and vocals drown out everything. The piano is hard to hear and the whistle is too far back. Aside from that, it gets old fast. Where's the crazy breakdown in the middle? Nice rhythmic ideas in the piano, but they become overused as the mix progresses.

As for the rapping, Daniel's is tight; the quick 32nd note rhythm stuff is pretty sick and he pulls it off well, but the other stuff sounds a bit cheesy; you enunciate your consonants too much. Sounds like...Weird Al. :(

More balance, more melodic ideas, less cheese! Fight, DJ Chrono, for everlasting peace!

NO

Nice beat, although all the other touches in the background are drowned out because of it. I think the flanger/phaser was overdone, as a whole the production lacks subtlety - the mixing needs some work.

I agree with Liontamer on the German rapping issue, it was surprising to say the least.

I like the flow, but this needs more work. Take heed of all the advice above. We do need more stuff like this on OC.

NO