*NO* Bubble Bobble '(no title given)'

djpretzel

One of my fans requested that I do the Bubble Bobble song, so I did.

Now that I've done it, I figured those who like this sort of thing might like it.

The song is the first listed at:

Contact Info:

- Mouth Reliant (band name)

- Tim Hansen (real name)

- nationwideclyde@hotmail.com

- www.economysuperstar.com

ReMix Info:

- Bubble Bobble theme

- I wrote the MIDI for this entirely by ear, referencing an mp3 of the C64 version and writing an original bridge section. Each track was individually mastered in Cool Edit Pro. I'm particularly proud of the Casio-style drum track lovingly created by hand. Some of you might think it's not terribly different from the original, but then, most of my music sounds like videogames.

-Tim Hansen

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/bubbob.zip - Track 1

Unfortunately, you're right Tim. It really isn't different enough from the source tune. The original section from 1:01-1:25 is about as basic as it gets. And while it's good that you sequenced the Bubble Bobble theme by ear, you might as well have ripped it. Still basically verbatim and unexpansive. I'd say "check the other Bubble Bobble tracks on the site to get an idea of how to arrange this theme", but don't. (We'll get rid of those damn NSF rips someday, believe me.)

OMG ur dayz r numb3red DjArcas!?!

NO

Ouch. Ultra low-fidelity sounds here.. very mechanical, no groove at all. Synths are not dynamic, nor is the percussion. Everything sounds very electronic and deliberate, and not in a good way either. Not to mention the arrangement, which is extremely close to the original in both notation and style/structure. If you're going to approach a simple source tune in this fashion, I would suggest focusing more of your time on designing interesting synth sounds and solid drum grooves. Add in automation for different effects - filtering, phasing, flanging, distortion, even panning. Add drum fills, add more harmony, add more variation and original material to fill up the 'empty space' in the mix. Provided you have a VST compatible sequencer (which you can now get for free.. see the "Free Traktion Liscence" thread in the Remixing forum), you can visit kvr-vst.com to begin beefing up your sounds.

NO