Upper Norfair - Super Metroid

LordGavin

Yeah, just updated with the finished version of my "Lower Norfair" remix, so I thought I might as well throw this one up as well while I was at it.

I actually finished this song before my first version of my Lower Norfair remix, so it doesn't show my complete up-to-date skill. That and I found this song very hard to remix since I don't add in original arrangements to my remixes and since the song is almost nothing but ambiance. Upper Norfair isn't a strong song to begin with, but I think the remix turned out alright, all things considering.

Either way, as usual, feel free to comment and enjoy.

- - -

Song: "Upper Norfair"

Game: "Super Metroid"

Remixed By: Gavin MacLean

Midi Basis By: King Meteor

Listen to it here!

Download it here!

Hm... The guitar-like synth is terrible, the synth rhythm that plays from the beginning isn't that good (when exposed; it blends in better later in the mix), and I'm not sure how fitting the drums are. That said, the rest of the sound is pretty good, I especially like one of the pads in the background. Arrangement isn't bad but feels ill-fitting, using it as an intro to a more fitting (and possibly more interpretive) main part (doesn't have to be the same source) should work all right. The repetition problem is obvious. Nice work tho.

Great sound and atmosphere akin to the original!

The streaming version is a bit slow to load and didn't load at all just now (download was quick though, thanks!), maybe add a mirror?

Some suggestions that might be interesting to look at:

- Perhaps lower the emphasis / focus of the bass pads at the start of the sequence, let them ease in a bit more, as they dominate the build up too much IMHO. Consequently also when reaching the end sequence.

- To break repetition, maybe look into putting a part in between at a higher tempo, with a bit more beat, creating a more "impending threat" atmosphere. Then ease off again to the original pace.

All good feedback/comments, as usual. Didn't really feel like adjusting it, but it doesn't appear it would take much, so maybe I will sometime.

Seems most people are saying I should break the repetitive nature of the song by introducing something new. I like Baltirow's idea of upping the tempo a bit. That and perhaps introduce a new drum beat and lead synth when the tempo changes to give the mid-end portion of the song a bit more to it. I'll experiment with fading the base in at the right time as well.

To comment, I've noticed that BlipTV (main streaming link) sometimes fails. All my songs go onto YouTube as well, but BlipTV is always higher quality. So long as the download works then if Blip starts acting up.

Anything else worth noting for change, please say so.