iPad Sequencing App

RECKENEFIN

I thought It might be good to contribute to the community. I've got a friend who is the lead software expert for a creative group that he co-founded. They specialize in iOS apps, web design, and branding. Incidentally, he's the one who introduced me to OCReMix, but that's somewhat beside the point.

Tomorrow, March 22, the company is releasing the Koushion sequencing app for the iPad. I was able to see this while it was still in the development stages, and even then it was pretty impressive (although, being a novice at composition, I am admittedly easily impressed). Still, this has a lot of features that even some of the more upscale controllers don't have. And even if there is a controller that surpasses this one, I can almost guarantee you that it won't be able to beat the $9.99 price tag of Koushion.

So if you have an iPad, I would strongly suggest checking this out. Even if your skeptical, it's only $9.99, so I would still give it a try.

Just thought I would throw that out there for everybody.

Remember: March 22, Koushion, App Store, iPad, $9.99. :nicework:

Interesting. I looked for Ipod touch/ Ipad sequencers and music creators a month or two back. I didn't find much good, but this app looks really interesting. I'll have to look at this one.

The other app for music which you should look at is the Apple Garage Band app (Ipad only) which is really amazing. I tried it out for a little and it is really cool. It has some great sounds and is pretty simple to use. The only catch with using it is that you record all of the instruments live, so keeping time is really key.

It was 4.99 last I looked, but that may have changed.

Even though It is not a sequencer, it is a neat alternative so check it out as well as the Koushion sequencing app.

The world is telling me that I need to get an iPad more and more everyday.

Do want.

Amen to this. I agree totally.

The Asus Eee Slate will run FL Studio, Cubase, a bunch of VSTi's and a couple of big sample libraries at the same time. I'm sure that sequencer is going to be extremely lame and won't really support any kinds of decent sounds, multiple channels, automation, and effects that are required to make anything even halfway decent sounding. I'm pretty sure the iPad still has a lot less functionality than the iPhone, for a lot more money.

I'm happy that I don't have to worry about any special super apps for the $300 laptop I bought at Wal-Mart when I can run FL Studio and a whole crapload of VST's at the same time.

I looked at the promotional video. They need to make the buttons bigger on that koushion drum machine so your cat can play it.

I happen to agree with you about the utility of the iPad vs the iPhone, but think about what this app is meant for - performance-composition. I doubt FL Studio or any VSTs would be able to match it there.

If pure composition is your main goal, then yes, I imagine you could do better than an app like this. In fact, you could do better than a tablet altogether for the amount they cost.

The Asus Eee Slate will run FL Studio, Cubase, a bunch of VSTi's and a couple of big sample libraries at the same time. I'm sure that sequencer is going to be extremely lame and won't really support any kinds of decent sounds, multiple channels, automation, and effects that are required to make anything even halfway decent sounding. I'm pretty sure the iPad still has a lot less functionality than the iPhone, for a lot more money.

I'm happy that I don't have to worry about any special super apps for the $300 laptop I bought at Wal-Mart when I can run FL Studio and a whole crapload of VST's at the same time.

I looked at the promotional video. They need to make the buttons bigger on that koushion drum machine so your cat can play it.

Just for clarification, it's a sequencer/controller, not composing software. My friend uses it with Ableton Live. It only controls the software, sounds, and such that you already have. And, I'm not sure if you read the description, but it supports up to 8 channels. Also not sure what you meant about automation, but if by that you mean looping, it does that automatically once it reaches the end of your frame or set of frames. Obviously there would be some effects you could add in your actual program, but this helps with getting the notes into your computer.

I'm also not saying that the iPad is the cure-all for everything, nor was I saying "Go get an iPad so you can get this app." I was simply letting those who already have an iPad know about a cost-effective alternative to purchasing a controller or sequencer.

And, yes, the buttons might be a little small, but that's the complaint for 99.9% of the apps out there.