Color a Dinosaur - Color a MacGyver

DarkeSword

Color a Dinosaur - Color a MacGyver [3.50MB]

This is a remix I made for our April Fool's Day joke here on OCR. We were supposed to post it to the site as a joke mix, but for whatever reason that didn't end up happening. Here are my mix comments that were supposed to be posted in djpretzel's write-up:

Long before Advent Rising and Earthworm Jim, Tommy Tallarico worked on an game that, like most masterpieces, went unnoticed and unloved for years. When I found Color A Dinosaur, something about the game's approach to coloring dinosaurs really inspired me; there was a pervasive sense of "you can do anything," much like the feeling I got when I watched Richard Dean Anderson star in the classic action television show MacGyver. It's no surprise then that the theme from Color a Dinosaur and the theme from MacGyver fit together so seamlessly, and when I finally finished this mix, I really felt like I could do anything. Thanks Tommy. Thanks MacGyver.
When we were discussing our April Fool's joke I volunteered to do a legitimately good remix of Color a Dinosaur that we could conceivably leave up on the site after April Fool's day. I sat down and listened to the title theme and as I kept listening to it, I kept bridging part of the theme into a section from the theme song to MacGyver. Some people might not be old enough to remember MacGyver but it was a pretty awesome show from the 80s/90s with a great theme song, so I decided to work that into my remix and just run with it, disregarding the idea of leaving it up on OCR. I ran into some issues with other stuff and wasn't able to work on my remix in earnest until Thursday night, so I quickly knocked this out in a couple of hours.

It's a fairly straightforward dance track with a nice atmosphere. I already have a pretty good idea of what I'd need to do to actually get this posted, but I'm probably not gonna come back to this again unless I really feel like it, so just enjoy.

Catchy stuff. Can't comment on the arrangment but I gotta say I like the feel you got going on here, cool electronic chip stuff mixed with some organic instrumentation. I dig.

Production is flawed in some aspects - its overcompressed, very bass heavy, and that weird piano sample thing at 0:34 is too loud, not to mention this generally seems muddy in the mids, everything seems to bleed into each other around 1:30 onwards. I dunno, seems to me I've heard you do much better production than this :(

Nice arrangement tho, really catchy stuff, altho links to the sources would be nice :D

Basically, I reckon you need to fix your production flaws if you decide you want to submit this, but you know the standards better than me so w/e.

That said, I enjoyed it, nice work :)