OCR02325 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Finality (Radio Edit)'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

My remixer name - JH Sounds

My real name - [deliberately withheld, do not use]

My website - http://jhsounds.com/

My userid (number, not name) on the forums - 8516

Submission Information

Name of game arranged - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis/Sega Master System)

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Final Zone

ReMix name - "Finality (radio edit)"

ReMixer credit: JH Sounds, Cyril the Wolf

My own comments about the mix - This remix of mine was originally made for my arrangement album Hedgehog Hysteria, available at http://jhsounds.com/album/hedgehog-hysteria. The idea for "Finality" was to not only interpret the musical theme, but also the theme of the zone itself. In this case the song is about the finality of death, and the inevitability of mortality. After I worked on the backing track and lyrics, Cyril the Wolf http://ocremix.org/artist/5473/cyril-the-wolf was gracious enough to provide his vocal for it, and brought in vocal ideas that I believe strengthened the overall arrangement.

-----------------------

I will admit to being a sucker for this kind of 'somber right before the final battle' music. I like how you've treated the source, and your reasoning behind it. Conner's voice works pretty well for this, and I think this is one of his better performances. I'd still suggest working on your breath support, especially for the opening line (slow, quiet, low lines are not easy by any means).

Production works pretty well, although I think the drums could use a little more presence, especially the bass drum. Background strings could also use a touch of vibrato to add a little motion to them.

I like it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Nice arrangement idea, and generally good execution. Connor sounds good, with a lot better intonation than I'm accustomed to, and the subtle harmonies added give some additional interest. The lyrics are good, thought he chorus was slightly redundant. The production crits Deia has are valid, but overall things clicked.

The ending seemed a bit abrupt, as I think either some rubato piano, or even something more involved would be a good epilogue to the lyrics,giving the listener time to reflect; but otherwise, the inherent strengths of this track easily overpower the assorted weaknesses.

Yes

This is a really creative arrangement, the melody works just great with vocals. Digging the main piano/keyboard sound. I thought there were some light electronic drums or beatboxing kicking in at :57, and again at 1:27.. anyone else notice that? Regardless, I think a nice subtle beat could have really picked up the track. the concert bass and snare that do enter around 1:50 were a little underwhelming imo, but they do the job. overall, cool stuff. :)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

There was a sour note at 1:34 that should have been auto-tuned and ended up breaking the immersion of the listen. Lesser case of this at 2:00, not with a bad note, but not the smoothest vocal modulation there. 2:22's note also could have been tweaked or rebalanced; maybe a different voice among the chorused vocals should have been upfront in that moment. Not a huge deal.

That said, this was otherwise really well put together. The piano sequencing could have sounded more natural, but it was solid enough, and had just enough delay and body to help rather than hinder the soundscape. The woodwind sequencing was also not blowaway, but capable/solid. The drums introduced at 1:39 were positioned & produced very nicely.

The vocals in particular were mostly on point and produced very well, really doing a great job of filling up the soundscape despite the minimalist texture on the other instrumentation, and preventing the inorganic-ness of the samples from being too exposed. This was a great example of how to do it right, making a few instruments create a full presence.

Ideal collab. The whole's greater than the sum of the parts. Nice synergy here, bros.

YES