The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Tower Temple Theme - "Marching On"

MC Ardle

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=1184

Here's something I made about a year ago, but I never finished the lyrics. In retrospect, and in hearing my friends' opinions, I realise that this sounds a bit like "Uprising" by Muse.

The lyrics are meant to come in at 0:48 saying:

Marching on, toward the red horizon.

Marching on into the great unknown.

We have come into the eastern valley

To find and keep the treasure for own.

the same of which is repeated at 1:19. When the ocarina is introduced at 1:35, the still unfinished lyrics say:

Marching on, higher and higher.

Searching for the emerald eye.

These eight lines are again repeated at 2:42. The "emerald eye" is what I decided to call the large emerald at the enterance of the tower temple. I have been stuck on these two lines for ages. Any help?

Tower Temple theme:

Bolero of Fire:

Uprising:

Also free to comment on any other aspects of the song.:)!!

The synth sounds are kind'a basic. Even subtle changes like more cutoff envelope action or a chorus effect on them would add some much needed complexity to the sounds. There's some compression problems as well, but that's probably because the sounds aren't mixed well. Think through your track levels and eq a bit more.

Arrangement is pretty cool, tho the way instruments just end some of the time (2:11 a pleasant exception to this). The world needs more 6/8, glad you're making some. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of time signature changes from the source, and probably over-use them myself. It works very well here, and I'm really enjoying what you have so far! I like the little snippet of Bolero of Fire you put in there.

The weak spot for me right now is the vocals. The performance is good, but the processing is a little weird for me. Given the synthy feel of your track, maybe you could go even more synthetic with the vocals, using a vocoder or some gratuitous autotune. Somebody else with more vocal experience may have better or more specific suggestions. I think adding some harmony through backup vocals would also sound good.

Finally, here's one suggestion for the two missing lines:

"Raising (or blazing) swords into the sky

Braving fiends (or beasts) of water and fire"

Also, this may be silly, but is the stone actually an emerald? On the Zelda Wiki it says it's red. A ruby? I do like the alliteration of emerald eye though.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you like this song.

The weak spot for me right now is the vocals. The performance is good, but the processing is a little weird for me. Given the synthy feel of your track, maybe you could go even more synthetic with the vocals, using a vocoder or some gratuitous autotune.

I know what you mean. my voice used to be better before I had music programs, since I'd be singing every day, Instead of composing most of the time. I personally don't like blatantly obvious auto-tuned voices, but I'll give it a go.

"Raising (or blazing) swords into the sky

Braving fiends (or beasts) of water and fire"

Thank You. Thankyou. Thankyouthankyouth anky outha nkyo uthan kyou moooooooooonsiiiiiiiiiiidddddddeeeeeeeeeeeee!

...That really helps me.

Also, this may be silly, but is the stone actually an emerald? On the Zelda Wiki it says it's red. A ruby? I do like the alliteration of emerald eye though.

...D'oh. I just had a stupid moment. :oops: I completely forgot that emeralds are green. :grin: Umm..."ruby eye" doesn't sound right. Could you please help?

This is my first time posting feedback! :grin:

Aside from Rozovian's comment on the synths sounding kinda simple, IDK if it's just me, but sometimes the kick is kinda buried. So it's either you change the sound or use some sidechaining, that's up to you. But my background has the kick being clearly heard, so it may be just me.

The whole arrangement sounds pretty pleasant, but as people have already said the processing of your voice is kinda odd, and I would say it needs some sort of compression to make the volumes constant. Sometimes it's too weak o:

Other than altered synth sounds, kick and voice processing, I think it's nice. And I love how everything goes quiet at the end. ^^

EDIT: specifically that quiet flute. XD

I know what you mean. my voice used to be better before I had music programs, since I'd be singing every day, Instead of composing most of the time. I personally don't like blatantly obvious auto-tuned voices, but I'll give it a go.

Or, you could strive to add more emotion/edge to your vocal performance, if you want to avoid autotune. Right now the singing sounds a bit too "nice." It should sound like an adventurer's anthem, not their hash bash upon returning home.

...D'oh. I just had a stupid moment. :oops: I completely forgot that emeralds are green. :grin: Umm..."ruby eye" doesn't sound right. Could you please help?

Check this link: red emerald. It exists. Or, if that's lame, you can always appeal to poetic license. I think emerald eye is ok.