Remix name: Zero World

Remix of: Final Battle

Cameo sources: Immoral Melody, Boss Battle, Kuja's Theme

Game: Final Fantasy 9

Composer: Nobuo Hyoo-mat-zoo

THIS IS FOR THE FF9 PROJECT, NO POSTY, PROBABLY IN FLOOD

Link to ReMix:

Main sauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9q6PXk3dI

So this is the final battle remix for the FFIX project. I'll not lie - it's fairly gratuitously self-indulgent in size, content, concept, style... in more or less every way it is possible to be gratuitous. I want something really epic to go out with bang on, and this is what I came up with. I shortened it by about 30 seconds from the album version, for which I will hate the size limit forever. The day I cut my prog epic in half for ANY reason is the day prog dies. There is very obviously a Dream Theater influence going on here. The voice over contains choice extracts from Necron's script. Yes that is my puny british voice being morphed.

Big thank you to the choir of a thousand burning souls:

larry

deia

jill

zirc

OA

hemo

cyril

Stevo

Big thank you to Andy P for letting me borrow his 7 string JP guitar for authentic Dream Theater ripoff-age.

My mixes are never particularly source lite but I've taken the liberty of breaking this down properly for you anyway, as I know most of you will look at the length and hate me.

Source Break Down

Source Sections Used:

Final Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9q6PXk3dI

0:00-0:16 - A

1:20-1:42 - B

1:53-2:36 - C

2:36-2:56 - D dooooooo dooooooo

2:56-3:06 - E do do do do do

3:06-3:16 - F ner ner ner ner

3:16-3:27 - G

Boss Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQgbTRbT8o

0:15-0:40

Kuja's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWqhzgseI4

Melody at very start

Immoral Melody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvqCkbP19Yw

0:27-1:04

Whole intro is basically DEF chords, and some of the melody

0:12-0:42 - D

0:42-0:52 - E chords

0:52-1:07 - F chords + orig melody

Heavy part of intro is varaitions on those sections

1:17-1:42 - D

1:42-1:47 - E chords again

1:47-2:03 - F in 12/8

2:03-2:17 - G

2:17-2:38 - Var on Riff from B

This section is the 'main' theme section I guess, closer to original

2:38-3:03 - B more or less verbatim

3:03-3:58 - C more or less verbatim

3:58-4:17 - E

4:17-4:26 - F

4:26-5:06 - G with timesig fun

5:06-5:16 - B riff transposed

This is the random shit and breakdown section - more loosely based

5:17-5:37 - B riff with Boss theme melody, totally clever

5:42-6:02 - Melody from kuja's theme used as riff adjusted for 4/4, Immoral melody as melody

6:02-6:15 - B riff in Major and Dorian, totally clever

6:15-6:32 - B riff with soloing and keychanges

7:03-8:25 - A section in 6/8 with solos later on

8:25-8:40 - F section in 12/8 again (...kind of, drums are 4/4 for some of it)

Then there's a main theme repeat into ending

8:40-8:53 - G

8:53-9:49 - C verbatim-ish

9:49-10:12 - D

So total times added up:

pad intro 45 s

heavy intro 81 s

Main theme 158 s

random 70 s

breaksolo 111 s

main/end 80

535/664 s total around 80.5%

Non-VG sources/Blatant Ripoffs

Any modern Dream theater fan will spot the hilarious obvious nods made but here they are anyway.

A Nightmare to Remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADX9DdURn8o

2:17-2:38 of my remix is quiet blatantly ripped off from 1:41-2:17 of that song. I mean, it's more a general arrangement idea, the notes I use are clearly the final battle riff, but it's definitely heavily 'inspired by'.

Octavarium: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_9lJxeiXg&feature=related

The sound of the intro has been clearly purloined, but no harmonic or melodic content has been used.

Small note on bitrate: Apart from the cymbals which are a tad yuk, I think it sounds listenable enough. You can certainly hear everything okay. If 96 is good enough for triforce majeure, it's good enough for this. Also the simultaneous album release will have lossless if people like it enough to go hi-fi. I don't think it's a big deal is all I'm saying.

But if any of you know of the best encoder for getting stuff exactly 8mb (ie as good as physically possible) then let me know. Happy to redo it a at something like 102-4kbps but really couldn't find a way.

As always, thank you for listening :3.

Edited by Liontamer

Listened to this a few times, and I'm torn on this. I know there's a lot going on in terms of arrangement; you've done a pretty nice breakdown. At times things are feeling pretty straightforward/conservative, and at other times it feels like you've got a lot more going on. I think in the end it's going to come down to the sound quality, which right now I feel like the sound isn't as encompassing as I'd like. The guitars overall seem to be at a good level, but the background feels a little too quiet at times.

Choir of death is nearly inaudible though. Honestly, I'd cut it out of the sub version if it's only going to be that loud.

I'm curious to what the other Judges will think on this, but I will give it a tentative YES for now.

I didn't think the production quality (as a result of mp3 compression) was below the bar by any means. doesn't have the shine of the album version, but definitely solid. Cain's breakdown checks out for me. I loved all the meter-changes and stuff.. downright epic arrangement here.

assuming it's within the size limit, this seems like a pretty easy pass to me.

YES

• 1 month later...

Grand Cross. My favourite track from FF9. Best final boss theme from any Final Fantasy. (Yes that includes One Winged Angel.)

First up, thankyou for showing The Black Mages how to make a rock remix of Grand Cross. It's pretty awesome when you can honestly say you've beaten the guy who wrote the original song at covering it.

I guess I'll list the issues:

The vocals at the beginning and end were a little too quiet. I would've boosted them dramatically, deepened the voice a little bit, made it sound as evil and powerful as possible.

The middle portion of the remix is almost verbatim from the original. I personally wouldn't have it any other way, since I love it the way it is, but you know, ReMix not cover.

Cool little bits like the mixup around 5:00 are reason enough to let the straight cover parts pass. I love the ideas that come out as the remix progresses. Kuja's theme makes an appearance around 5:30, one of my favourite recycled themes from Nobuo (it's in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 5 as well.)

Some nice shredding after 6:00 just enjoying the way the guitarist is playing around with the theme. The break that follows works great and then even more audio sweetness follows.

God damn, just a terrific remix. I'm tempted to ask Fishy to make the vocals at the beginning a little more prominent, as it's really the only issue I have with the remix. Just pump them up a little bit, and lower the pitch a little bit to make them that much more evil.

I can't wait to pump this at top volume in my car.

FUCK YEAH