Stevo's Newbie Guide to OverClocked ReMix

Level 99

I get where YOU are coming from T, honest I do... but I have to say this, even though it sounds so cliche, but here goes: objectivity is sometimes subjective. It is different for everyone, and it is almost always a moving target (as we improve both our production and listening skills). Even someone like Deadmau5 or Hans Zimmer may see something as sounding bad a month after they do it. It's just the way it is. Give your past self a break! :-P

edit: may "hear" something as sounding bad (how can you "see" something as sounding bad? silly me)

You have good points, but I'm not kidding---I really do find my new music a huge improvement over my old, in both production and arrangement.

There are certainly people who say production can be subjective, that's not out of the question, but in some ways it is certainly also objective. If you can put aside your opinion when evaluating production, it's entirely objective. For example, ridiculous production overboosts, really lofi production, extremely painful harsh resonances, and completely incompatible instruments (say, a fake electric guitar with double basses, heavily distorted drums and a didgeridoo) may just sound objectively bad, but some people can look past that and see the good in other aspects of the same songs. =)

Edited by timaeus222

You have good points, but I'm not kidding---I really do find my new music a huge improvement over my old, in both production and arrangement.

There are certainly people who say production can be subjective, that's not out of the question, but in some ways it is certainly also objective. If you can put aside your opinion when evaluating production, it's entirely objective. For example, ridiculous production overboosts, really lofi production, extremely painful harsh resonances, and completely incompatible instruments (say, a fake electric guitar with double basses, heavily distorted drums and a didgeridoo) may just sound objectively bad, but some people can look past that and see the good in other aspects of the same songs. =)

I'd just be careful on how solidly you rely on the word "objective." Again I get what you are saying (and yeah great examples!), but one's ability to even identify all the things you've listed here depends on their progress with producing and evaluating music. You could listen to the same piece a year apart and have a whole new level of "objectivity." It is a moving target. That's all I'm getting at.

For a laugh:

I'd just be careful on how solidly you rely on the word "objective." Again I get what you are saying (and yeah great examples!), but one's ability to even identify all the things you've listed here depends on their progress with producing and evaluating music. You could listen to the same piece a year apart and have a whole new level of "objectivity." It is a moving target. That's all I'm getting at.

For a laugh:

Great video. :) I may watch it again, if just for the analysis factor, and I'm all for analysis [/non-sarcasm].

Simple meaning to objectivity --- the neutral quality that can be observed when evaluating something's truth without personal interfering bias. Or, I could refer anyone to Wikipedia (yes, I did just do that! It is definitely reliable for a list of good sources to pore through; the content itself just may be humanly off :tomatoface:).

So in essence (so much philosophical inside joke possibility), objectivity isn't that unknown of a concept to define (grasping it is another thing). The truth will never change, only our perception of where it is or what it is, like this "moving target" analogy of yours. The more you learn, the closer you get to the truth. But of course, Greek philosophers were having such a hard time with that in the Allegory of the Cave, The Republic, Plato on Love, etc. It certainly means it'll be just as hard, or harder, for people like us (who aren't Greek geniuses) to fully comprehend that truth. We can get close, but few people have gotten far enough to be able to be objective towards themselves. That is no easy feat, but objectifying, say, Love, is much harder, it seems, and if someone has done THAT before, then surely we can do that for music! After all, in Symposium from Plato on Love, one of the philosophers, Eryximachus, uses music and harmony as an "easily graspable", analogizable concept compared to love's pleasure. :)

I do see though, how the perception of objectivity differs between people, but the objective truths will always be present no matter what, and it will be accessible to those who have reached that target. It just takes consideration of context to determine whether or not your statements are accessible to your audience, and when you make them so, your audience will have a greater means to agree with you. ;)

Good talk. =)

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 months later...

This may sound like a lot of Bruce Lee inspired drivel, but if you cultivate an appreciation for criticism and recognize when people are going out of their way to direct you forward on the path you are trying to take in your learning, these 5 year painful learning experiences can be compressed into maybe even 3 years. A lot of time in learning processes are wasted in doubt and frustration. If you accept the painful parts, look for pragmatic ways to fix the issues you sense in your own works, and cultivate diligence, each moment you spend on your improvement bears a lot more fruit.

• 2 months later...

Everywhere I look in here it's about remixing. And that's obvious, because it's in the title.

Is there a place in here for those who wish to contribute their natural transcribing talent rather than incorporate personal touches to create a remix? Or can you show me the way to somewhere else that does if this place doesn't?

To clarify, it's just that I haven't yet built the intricate nodes in my mind for building off a known theme. I'm good at improvisations, but only when they're on the spot.

In other words, I'd like to know if people who create sheet music of well-known themes that are not already found elsewhere in the internet are welcome here, and if their work can be used in projects across this thread.

I've asked multiple people, but replies have yet to come, so while I waited I thought I'd throw a question here as well.

Thanks in advance,

~magix