*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Robotnik's Immortal Presence'

djpretzel

**THIS USER HAS HAD PROBLEMS SUBMITTING THIS THROUGH HER YAHOO ACCOUNT. IF YOU SEE MULTIPLE EMAILS EMERGE FROM THERE, PLEASE IGNORE THEM AND PAY YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS ONE. THANK YOU.**

---

ReMixer name: Rexy

Email: bev-wooff@lycos.com (this is a backup for the time being)

OCRemix user ID: 7528

REMIX INFO:

Remix title: "Robotnik's Immortal Presence"

Game covered: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Individual song covered: Robotnik Battle

Song link:

---

Greetings, all. Got another mix for you. ;) By the time this was mailed, my previous submission "Tomorrow's Wake" still wasn't judged, and I still haven't got any web space of my own, so you're still getting VGMix links for now.

This interpretation of the Sonic 2 boss theme was originally written in memory of Deem Bristow, the voice actor for Dr. Eggman in the recent Sonic titles whom sadly passed away in the middle of January (15th if you want an exact date). Now I know that some of you may find that kind of concept to be a bit silly, but I have been attached to the Sonic franchise since my earliest days of gaming. Even though I may have only heard Deem's voice through Sonic Heroes, I knew from the start that he was the man for the assigned role. Nonetheless, the feedback I received prior to this submission was surprising, so I felt that I could give it a shot at OCR to see if it'll work there too.

Don't be surprised if it isn't as edgy as the original, because it wasn't meant to be to begin with. The basic theme that I gestured with the song throughout was the gesture of "Deem may be gone, but the legacy of Eggman will live on". Heck, I found it interesting that adhesive boy said that it reminded him of FF6's "Terra" (quoting from VGF47), so that could be saying something.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for the feedback granted back on this. Whether you write YES or NO, it's been a pleasure working on the development of this mix.

Peace out,

-Rexy-

--

Only at 3.21 does the theme come in. Before that I was wondering if I had the right file! One could almost say that this was a completely original tune before that.

Yeah this did remind me a little of that Terra/Tina tune from ff.

I think that although the sounds are not top notch, they are used extremely well, and I did enjoy listening to it. My only reservation is that the recognisable theme came on pretty late!

YES

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sonic2.rar - Boss (Robotnik Theme.gym)

Nah, the theme was there right at the introduction via arrangement. Then the main melody arrived at :35. Melody started again at 1:04. Indeed, Adhesive Boy & I talked a little bit about the track as we ran down the tracklist during VGF47. Some of the samples definitely hurt the mix. They're actually pretty decent overall, but the texture sounded pretty thin.

For some reason, the whole track sounded slightly distant and a bit muffly. The horn that first appeared at 1:35 sounded really fake; some of the rougher note movements really exposed the sample. At times your quantizing made the timing a bit too mechanical (1:52-2:06), and that brass sample at 2:06 sounded very fake once again. At 1:55 & 2:27, I heard more obvious flubs in the timing, but most of the track had this problem.

Anyway, some good original composition ideas from 1:35-3:19 that actually sounded like very liberal spins on different parts of the source material. Nice way to make your original work fit the motifs of your arranged source tune. Compositionally, it flowed very nicely there.

2:53 started the buildup to a more suspenseful, emotional section, but led by the horn there was no way this was gonna work. Again the timing sounded too mechanical, and the production made the track sound flat in performance and distant in the soundfield. Bring in some high-end action to provide more sharpness & clarity.

Whatever energy was built into the composition/arrangement definitely did not translate over into the final product on account of the samples being so thin, the performance lacking the human element, the distant sound creating a muffly atmosphere, and the relative lack of dynamics. The arrangement was creative, but this needs a boatload of fine tuning, Bev. With your stuff, the arrangements tend to be hot, but the devil, as they say, is in the details.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

omg. Malcos, ur ears are teh sux. The theme is in the very beginning, then after about a 5 second break, whammo, it's there again. I deem thee unforgiven.

Some of the sound samples sound peculiarly... wonky. Like the main lead in the introduction that sounds like a duck playing an oboe. There is this odd hollowed out sound as well. It's as if one vital part of the register was missing. I suspect the middle range, but I would encourage experimentation, as it cries out for a fuller sound through much of the piece.

I also agree with Larry's complaint about the non-human sound. I can hear a lot of would-be legato instruments being retriggered often and obviously.

NO

-add more human phrasing

-add fuller sound.

-be ever-vigilant of the quality of sound as it compares to it's real-world counterpart.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the style modification, and I like the arrangement ideas. However, i'll have to agree with wingless (ugh....makes me sick) in that the harmony sounds "hollowed out", and something about a duck. The main problem here is sound quality and instrumentation. Fix em up - the arrangement is good, but not enough so to overcome these issues.

NO

-D

Needs bass. Seriously. Also it's super quiet! :(

The second half of the piece doesn't come off as powerful as it could because the samples sound very thin. I'd like to see a fuller sound that isn't buried in reverb. There's a GM ooh choir in there that sounds really out of place too. :(

Arrangement is awesome, but needs more on the execution side.

RESUBMIT PLEASE!

NO