*NO* Command & Conquer 'Instinct Reaction'

OceansAndrew

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: Command & Conquer

Name of arrangement: Instinct Reaction

Name of individual song arranged: Act On Instinct

Comments:

I was replaying Tiberian Dawn when it suddenly occured to me what an underrated track Act On Instinct really is. It seems to have been buried under the popularity of other C&C tracks such as Hell March and Crush, both of which are awesome tracks, but I feel this track should’ve received more attention than it did. It has a very strong riff that really appealed to me. So I sat down with the idea of creating a sort of modernized techno version of the track to give it a different spin, but still keep the sort of industrial rock feel of the original somewhat intact.

I made the remix pretty much from scratch and listened a lot to the original to find the right chords and riffs. I wanted to keep the main theme intact and sort of build around it and try to create an arrangement that would be very close to the original track but with a lot of new instrumentation. I included a sample of the drum loop from the original to sort of keep that feel to it, and some of the original voice samples as well.

I have gotten a lot of great feedback on the remix and so I thought it might be good as my first submission for OcReMix. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did making it.

Contact Information

ReMixer name: Technomancer

Email address: c64vampyrism@hotmail.com

UserID: 22161

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4gPTOxLCc

This is pretty good, if a little loud. There are some nice breakdown sections, but generally it follows the source very very closely. The sounds are good and mesh together pretty well, though some seem a little far forward.

Overall I like it a good deal, but generally feel it's a little too similar to the original for me to be comfortable passing. Perhaps the other judges will feel differently, and I wish you luck. :-)

No

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew's pretty much got this. Overall there are some good things going on here, but it just follows the source too closely for it to pass arrangement. I'm also in favor of turning the volume down a pinch, and I can't say I'm a fan of the opening bell synth (and wherever else it is used). Some of the harmonies in it feel like they aren't gelling with the rest of the track.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna concur with my fellow judges that this indeed is a conservative take on the theme. I do like your additions - the beats used sounded pretty solid, and there were a couple variations on the theme - but for the most part this follows too closely for OCR standards.

I agree that this its a bit loud - the bell/pad synth especially sticks out strongly in some mid-highs/highs.

One more note, as you mentioned, you used the original drum loop for a good portion your remix. Just want to point out that, while using some sampled audio from the original is allowed, it should be extremely limited. In this case, it was used from :35 - 1:48, 2:33 - 3:46, & 4:47 - 5:00, which is a good chunk of the mix. Given that it's mostly relegated to the background, I'm not positive it would be a big issue, but I wanted to bring it up nonetheless.

No