*NO* Legend of Dragoon 'Where Snow Falls Forever'

DragonAvenger

Hi dear Judges! Hope you're doing well!

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Chernabogue

Your real name: Alexandre Mourey

Your email address: chernabogue@gmail.com

Your website: http://www.fflproduction.fr (not a music website, but a video one)

Your userid: 20943

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Legend of Dragoon

Name of arrangement: Where Snow Falls Forever

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Crystal Palace

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc: Dennis Martin, Takao Miratsu/PS1

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2mDWLKKnGM

Your own comments about the mix: This mix was originally made for HoboKa's Legend of Dragoon project, but he decided to cancel it, as not enough people were interested/involved in. I wanted to make Crystal Palace sound quiet but dark, like a tomb of ice. My main inspirations were Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and Oscar Araujo. I used EWQL Gold Orchestra, with a little touch of Colossus. Thanks to Zeroboros and Guifrog for their feedback, it was helpful!

Link to the remix:

I hope everything's okay!

-Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely a sparse piece. I actually think that overall the piece is too thin and empty sounding. There is very minimal textures with the bell, and then just some string chords. You really stripped out a lot of the overal melodic content for most of the arrangement, which definitely works as a mood piece, but as a song i'd want to listen to a lot, I think it needs to be filled out more. I also think that in spots where a lot of the melody is missing, the connection to the source isn't nearly as dominant as it needs to be.

Some of the string articulations feel very slow to me, especially near the end where it is just a unison string line and some bells. The overall room sound is fine, and the dynamic curve is there, but it goes from merely quiet to incredibly quiet.

I like the concept and overall idea of this, but I think it needs to be filled out more, and incorporate more dominant, melodic source.

No, please resubmit

I agree with the Andrews here that, while the original in a bit on the minimal side, this mix takes it even moreso in that direction. For most of the song, there's just not much going on. That's not to say you can't have minimalistic orchestral tracks, but I'd argue that you have to work that much harder to make them interesting for the listener when you're working with fewer elements.

As mentioned before, slow string attacks really hurt here, especially when the note changes become quicker. The string end up sounding about a beat behind where they're supposed to be because of this. In general, the strings are sounding pretty mushy together, so try to work on getting a bit more distinct sound from each of your ensemble sections.

Hard left panned string stabs sounded really dry and stuck out above everything. Personally, I don't hard pan any instruments for orchestral pieces.

So, it sounds like you have the right tools at your disposal, so keep at it :)

No, resubmit please