Email sub file Zelda_Wind_Waker_DragonRoostRemix_OC_Remix.mp3

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name : BigDaddy

Your real name : Anis Hammoudeh

Your email address : Ahammoudeh@gmail.com

ReMix Info

Name of game ReMixed : The Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker

Name of individual song ReMixed : Dragon Roost Island

Sorry, I do not have a location to link the songs to. Included as attachments are (1) my remix of Dragon Roost Island titled Dragon Roost Remix (i know, the originality of the title is amazing) and (2), the original song from the game.

One day I was sitting here on my computer, listening to Dragon Roost Island, and thought "it'd be cool to do a remix of this.." so I got Fruity Loops and well, made it. The tools used were Fruity Loops and my mouse (damn i'm 733t), and well, that's that. Any feedback would be appreciated as well, hope you enjoy it.

Anis Hammoudeh

Already felt the track was too loud as things opened up. Production was particularly sloppy with the opening work as there was too much reverb overall. The string samples sounded really fake. Not bad with the beatwork coming in at :41. I liked the effects on there, though the volume was definitely pushing it. Pull it back, bro.

The first :54 seconds were cool for an intro, but the track really dragged on as it continued. You had the strings play some chords derived from the source tune, but you never even fashioned a melody from anything, so we were just stuck with beatwork and some non-melodic synth patterns being the entire meat of the track all the way until 1:50 of your 3:02 track. As far as the guidelines here go, there's absolutely no way that's gonna work contextually.

The woodwind-ish synth on lead from 1:50-2:26 was really generic. Then 2:27 went back to the beatwork and synth patterns. I'm glad you had that original stuff in there as part of your arrangement, but the "Dragon Roost Island" melody was a fairly minor factor in the composition, and that doesn't fly. Work more directly with the source tune in future works, and hopefully the other Js can give you some substantial advice on production. Swing by the ReMixing & Work-in-Progress forums and start taking advantage of the information & criticism at each of those places respectively.

NO

The intro wasn't very good. It just sounded very mechanical. Dynamics also sounded not present, everything was strong. I would work on lowering the levels a bit and working on your velocities. After the intro though, I really enjoyed arrangement after that. Are you using soundfonts or other samples with FL? If so you should try getting some of the bigger ones like Fluid. If you are already using such soundfonts or equal level samples, I think this could benefit from better processing and EQ. Production sounds pretty bland.

Also I heard a lot of clipping going on in this mix. Don't overcompress or overlimit the mix. Set your limit to -.3db at most.

I quite enjoyed the arrangement, but you could expand it more by exploring more of the source material. But the execution just isn't there. Above average. I hope to hear more from you soon. NO

well the intro is godawful

there are stretches of the arrangement that does make up for it. i love the arrangement, itself... i disagree with the sounds as they sound too sharp, too abrasive and LOUD.

but most of the sections i enjoyed were the original ones... when you go into the main theme, its actually kind of wonky and i don't know if the source fits well in that instance. like i said... there are some ideas here that i think were spectacular but the piece as a whole does not work for me.

this is regretfully a NO

Alright, so we've established that the intro needs work. Other than that, I don't think the track as a whole is too bad. It's got some very slick percussion work, and even some decent synth work.

On the sound quality side of things, it's very unbalanced. While the drums are nice, they really dominate much of the mix. I'd LOVE to hear some phat bass supporting this track, but all I really hear is a faint synth bass with a very slow attack. I think a pointed, aggressive bassline would do wonders.

Now, i'm not too familiar with the Wind Waker soundtrack, but listening to the source a few times, I can't help but feel a bit lost listening to this track. I don't hear a very solid connection to the original. I'm sure some of the same progressions are used, but overall, it feels more inspired by the original than derived from it.

Because of that, and due to the blatant sound quality issues, it's an enjoyable but unnacceptable track.

NO

-D