*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Green Hill Zone Remastered'

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: JesseProper

Your real name: Jesse Proper

Your email address: tsunalight@gmail.com

Your website :www.facebook.com/jesseproper

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic The Hedgehog

Name of arrangement: Green Hill Zone 20th Anniversary Remix

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Green Hill Zone

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Developer(s) Sonic Team

Publisher(s) Sega

Designer(s) Hirokazu Yasuhara

Artist(s) Naoto Ōshima (character design)

Composer(s) Masato Nakamura

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

I've only been doing digital music since i was 12, and i'm 21 now. For years i stuck with strictly MIDI and the GM Kit. I hadn't touched fl studio or any other DAW until last year. I finally got Mixcraft after was recommended by a pal. It took me awhile before i finally got the idea of EQing and Mixing down but i feel as if it's the first time i finally got it right.

This was an interesting remix because it really shows all the experience i've had using Mixcraft. Each genre of the song reflects a period of time where i had to learn to create a style of music and EQ it properly. The way i made it though wasn't piece by piece and then i stuck them all together. I had all three parts laid out with a crappy guitar melody ready to guide me through. Literally before any bass or piano was thrown down, i was recording all the guitar parts, distorted, clean and acoustic. Those were all done and finalized before any drums or synth were added.

Another kinda funny thing, at least to me, is that my official pianist, Shelbi Winstead, didn't even play the piano parts in the end.

She actually did all the Bass, and most of the synth parts which was surprising to me as usually i tackle the synth related stuff. I sent her my guitar parts and said "go" to her, assuming she'd just put in piano, but she returned it to me with practically no piano, and a lot of synth. I was surprised, but also kind of screwed since the last section (which is a duet of acoustic guitar and acoustic piano) didn't have piano. She had already gone to bed and i wasn't about letting the remix wait till the next day, so i pulled out my midi keyboard and did the piano myself!

Overall, i, and many others are quite happy with this remix and i hope it will be my break and finally get me onto OC Remix.

soundscape is pretty dry overall. the guitars sound nasaly and theres not a lot of low-end. the changeup to halftime was neat, but I gotta say the arrangement here runs a bit too conservative, despite the variety of instrumentation, there's not a lot of interpretation on the partwriting save for a few little flourishes. neat ideas here, but the arrangement and production both need more polish.

NO(resub)

Pretty cool concept here; it could be titled "4 seasons of sonic" ;-).

The production sound seemed like the high end was filtered out or something, it really was muffled. Performances were good all around, but the arrangement was basically a cover. The fact that it was done in several different styles was cool, but melodically and harmonically it is pretty much verbatim. I like what you've done, but it needs to be a little bit more expansive harmonically.

No

I agree with Andrew #2 - you've got a very cool concept here. Transitions were a bit sudden between the various sections, but they worked. Also on board with Drew #1 that this feels like it's missing some of the mid-low/low end presence.

Guitars were performed very nicely. Though drums are very repetative here for the first section - they basically keep the 8th note hi hats with snare on 2 on 4, besides the occasional cymbal hit or fill. There's plenty of room for rhythmic creativity here (something OA taught me a lot about, actually). As a matter of fact, I can't even really hear the kick here, so you'll want to look into that too.

Piano at 1:33 on was pretty mechanical and had a pretty weak tone honestly.

Arrangement-wise, this is definitely too conservative/coverish for OCR standards. Not to say it's bad in and of itself, but we're looking for more personalization and arrangement of the original flow and structure.

Fadeout of the original for the ending was pretty weak and seemed kinda lazy. I really think more could've been done to wrap things up.

Hope this doesn't come as a downer for you - you've clearly got a lot of potential and some nice guitar skills. Hope to hear more from you soon.

No