*NO* Metroid 'Kraid's Dream'

djpretzel

Hey there,

This is my first submission to OCRemix.org. I had a lot of fun with this piece so I figure I'd go for the gold :) In any case my info:

Remixer Name: PsiTron

E-Mail: tigerhawk@stic.net

Forum #: Well, I'm having trouble getting on the forums? I think I tried before but I never got a confirmation e-mail. My name on the forum is 'psitron' and my e-mail address should be the same as it is above (tigerhawk@stic.net).

Name of Game: Metroid

Individual Song: Kraid's Theme

Remix Song Name: Kraid's Dream

Comments:

I started working on this thing just messing around one day. I was sort of dry on inspiration but I wanted to practice my skills nonetheless.

Well, I laid down the very basics in a day and came back to it a few days later and really started doing the cool stuff. I guess the part that got me real excited was when I put in the Oboe. It added a real nice touch. After that I messed around in the breakbeats and though they could have been a bit better, perhaps, I think they add a nice touch.

This isn't my first video game remix, but it is the first one I have submitted to OCRemix. I love the site and there is some excellent work, but I always thought there wasn't enough remixes of Kraid's Theme. So here you go!

I tried to put in all the tag information that I could. Let me know if I missed something.

Cheers,

Tim S.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - "Kraid"

Copied with some minor additions from my VGMix buzz comment.

Cool mix. Thought this wouldn't make it as is, I don't see what you shat on OCR in the midst of your comments ("I made a specific OCRemix version for all those stupid tags; but that was before I learned the OCRemix sucked.")

Anyway, this was a decent mix. Cool atmosphere, though many of the sounds were generic. Heard some odd notes in your use of the melody.

Not much creativity on the arrangement front until things got additive at 1:34 with the oboe, which was cool. The sounds were rather sedate overall.

The beats that came in at 2:39 were also quiet enough to not really add too much to the piece, though they helped change up the flow a bit.

Not bad, Tim. Certainly keep at it, bro. You've got a good deal of potential.

NO

Ah, the delimma [sic]: When you pick a very, very famous VG song, you're expected to do great and novel things with it.

And that's the problem I think herein lies. It's a nice conept, nice execution, nice mix of sounds. But for this particular song, nice isn't really going to cut it.

On the technical side, this mix is lacking dynamics and a varying pace. The piece's inflexible nature is noticeable. I would cut out some of the repetition near the end of the piece, since it doesn't really add much to the piece in general. With that free'd space, I'd look to add something different/special/unique or, if all else fails, something really powerful.

Do it. Do it now.

no (you get a soft-impact no because I liked it quite a bit, regardless)

• 2 weeks later...

I have little to add that they didn't already nail down.

I would have liked the oboe to have been louder though, it's pretty buried in the mix, which is a shame, since it sounds quite nice.

I think the arrangement is a bit too long, this could do with some more creativity in the execution and planning of the ideas.

Production as a whole is average. I think you could boost the volume a bit of the mix as a whole. Dynamics would be be welcome also.

Ending was a bit odd and lazy.

Not bad, but nothing that stands out for me. Above average. NO

basically the theme here is that you did not do enough to stand out in the crowd and that is not intended as a slight in any way... you have one hell of a bar to approach with how popular this theme is... check out the DoD month for metroid.

all in all, this is not obtrusive. it sounds calming and gentle and i'll be keeping it but this doesn't bring enough to the table in terms of arrangement or ideas to be accepted, sorry. although i will say this, you should have taken your ideas with the oboe in the middle of the track further... i think it was easily your most triumphant moment in the piece.

otherwise, this doesn't grab my attention.

NO