OCR02433 - *YES* Adventures of Lolo 3 'The Eggerlander March'

OceansAndrew

Dear DJP and Judges,

I am submitting for your consideration the following remix...

Remixer name: Doc Nano

userid: 36369

Game arranged: The Adventures of Lolo 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_of_Lolo_3)

Songs arranged:

1. Main Level Music (

starting at 2:11)

2. Overworld Music (

, starting at 3:16)

Several months back I noticed that there were zero remixes of any Adventures of Lolo games on OCR. This addictive adventure-puzzle series featured infectious tunes that were drummed into the player's head, level after level, driving you to push onward despite practically throwing the controller through your TV half a dozen times per level.

Noting this gap in our remix library, I wrote a Sousa-esque march based primarily on two themes from Lolo 3 -- the main level music, and the overworld theme. I originally used samples from my synth, but James Lee in the wip forums strongly recommended upgrading the samples. A half year and 200 bucks later, I was able to re-pipe the piece through EWQLSO Silver, and I think this is one case where a bit of cash made a huge difference. Props also to Wes M. for suggesting the inclusion of strings, which make the whole piece far more dramatic.

The piece follows the structure of an American military-style march:

Brief intro

First strain: Close cover of Main Level Music, with embellishment

Second strain: Development of Main Level Music, also loosely based on the jingle you hear when Lolo gets a power-up such as a bridge or hammer.

Intro to trio

Trio: Cover and development of Overworld Music

Overall, this has been a fun experiment for me in exploiting proper balance, articulation, and harmony in a full orchestral ensemble. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for considering my mix,

Alex (Doc Nano)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's something I remember critiquing a fair amount back when it first hit the workshop. It totally reminds me of the orchestral Kid Icarus arrangements featured in Smash Bros Brawl!

This level of production/arrangement quality is solid by ANYONE's standards, but when you consider that this is Alex's first attempt at making an orchestral remix with a brand new set of unfamiliar samples, this track becomes all the more impressive. It's a masterful arrangement from a guy who obviously knows his music theory, and the samples are used quite adeptly. This final version addresses pretty much all of the issues I had with the WIPs I've heard in the past, although I will say that the piccolo sample does wear thin when it hits the highest of high notes, but what can you do? I don't even remember suggesting the addition of strings in here but I'm glad it worked :-P

This is a definite pass in my book. Do more stuff like this!

YES