OCR00552 - Final Fantasy V "Cursed Pirates of the Sea"

orkybash

Starts out as a rollicking journey of buccaneers on the high seas that is well done, but a little synthy, but reminiscent of the original. Life is good for these adventurous seafarers, but a storm looms overhead. With almost no warning, a fierce storm is upon them, and the brutal winds push their ship into the no-man's land of the haunted seas!

Decent mix conceptually, and well arranged, but the samples havn't held up all that well.

• 3 months later...

As far as Protricity arrangements go, this doesn't really shine at all. Interesting ideas were applied to unexpanded material, after which it was all rolled up into a concise pirate ship-themed concept. While this still sounds pretty good, it didn't explode all over me like some of the Protricity mixes that would come after this.

Samples wise, its a very mixed bag. Brass is definately a sore spot and the drums are very Protricty (what else would they be?), but overall I heard nothing grossly plain or obstructive. It's not a tasty collection of samples, but palatable all the same.

Bearing in mind the flaws however, the mix certainly exhibits an admirable level of quality and polish, and is a very enjoyable aural adventure. Prot could have kept at this skill level and still been pretty damn successful in my eyes, though I'm glad he improved from this point as well.

• 3 years later...

I remember well when this was THE FF5 mix of OCR, i.e. the only one. Classic stuff from Ari, and one of those strong mixes back in the early years that ensured I would never skip OC ReMixes even if I wasn't familiar with the original game. Nothing but a solid, stylish combination of the two themes, with sound quality that holds up pretty well today.

• 3 years later...

How did I never write anything for this?! As someone who played the game, this is a story told with audio and it's just fantastic. Also never realized how old it was, truly exceptional for the early years. Gotta love the mystical atmosphere at 3:55 onwards. Awesome remix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00552 - Final Fantasy V "Cursed Pirates of the Sea"