GrayLightning

RoeTaKa Fallthrough

Your ReMixer name : RoeTaKa

Your real name : Alex Roe

Your email address : roea14@yahoo.co.uk

Your website : http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/roetaka/index.html

Your userid : 17699

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Grandia

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Justin and Feena's Love Song (Ganbo's Sandy Beach on OST)

------------------------------------------------

I could literally cut and paste my vote from Zelda 3 "Ordeal" and it would basically work for this. The samples are used very poorly and robotically; there's no appealing texture and/or humanization, and if you don't progress forward experimenting with and learning those things, your work will never get better that what it is right now.

The production & sound balance among your synths & instruments are poor as well. The arrangement is alright but finds itself meandering and retreading in many places, and the track is way too long and underdeveloped to deserve 6:10. Scale down the track and learn the intricacies of refining your material.

I'd give further details, but it's just that this was such a similar case of why this sub was way below the bar, that I'm not gonna spend a lot of time repeating myself. Still loving the GoldenEye mix. Keep learning at the ReMixing forum, Alex, that's all I can really say.

NO

The source material is excellent, and with that, it makes for a very difficult mixing challenge.

What this really needs is more humanization. Guitar is one of the most difficult to sequence, for a reason. Here it just sounds very robotic. On another level, to add a greater human touch for these instruments, more attention paid to the velocities would do this mix good. Some of the notes tend to jump in volume without a smooth rise or fall as it goes from some notes to the next.

The other issue for me here is the mixing levels. Everything is loud, and it causes a bit of chaos. The guitar tends to dominate the entire mix almost hiding the melody. Work on spreading out the the instruments on your soundstage also. This would help with the cluttered aspect. Another thing this could use is some more reverb and short delays (like for the guitar).

I do like the arrangement, and there's some nice creative things going on here (as staple of Roe's works). There are good ideas in place, but the execution is just lacking on several fronts.

Liked the ending portion a lot, cool concept going on there.

Keep at it Roe, with more polish you'll be putting out some great work. NO

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with Da Gahray here. You need to prioritize the instruments through eq'ing. Right now, everything's vying [sic] for attention, creating clutter. Good music is like good Capitalism. You've got the big important CEO's at the top who control 99% of the wealth, then the corproate types, then blue collar types, then the dregs of society, who shall be ultimately suffocated by the imperialist shadow of the hegemony above.

So yeah, eq that bitch. Eq her brains out. And flesh out the rest of the register, most noteably the middle range.

No.

The guitar is way to plucky for the mood you're trying to create. Instruments don't balance out either. What's the melody? What's the harmony? I really can't tell. Nothing changes volume. There's no balance. I don't feel any energy here either. The whole arrangement is plodding along without really building and releasing. Too much going on, not enough focus.

Back to the drawing board. NO