*NO* Doom 2 'Level 18 (no title given)'

djpretzel

http://www.dongrays.com/midi/archive/game/d2/d2map18.mid - Map 18 ("The Courtyard")

Not a bad effort bro. Fairly conservative take on the material to be honest. In any case unfortunately, the source tune is actually derived from Pantera's "This Love" and is therefore ineligible for the site. Thanks very much to Doom expert TO for the hookup on that information. Better luck next time, bro.

NO OVERRIDE

Edit: Second Opinion needed. Larry/others, for the record, djp said there is no litmus test on derived/inspired from material. It's way too subjective. Unless the composer has admitted it was directly lifted from another composer, it's hard to make such assumptions. To be edited later on. - Gray

• 3 weeks later...

Still too conservative a take on the source material. I could have sworn the standard was fairly uniform on "if it's not created for a game, then NO" besides Tetris, but if that's the way it's gonna be, that's fine. Personally, I don't think we should consider it.

In any case, I'll do a formal, non-N.O. vote. The percussion work was really plodding and repetitive, and the low bassline type lead from 1:31-2:21 was way too low. The track isn't bad, but the arrangement is basically just some playthroughs of the source with different sounds each time. Gotta be more bro.

NO

Production on this song is terrible. That drum sounds like someone shoved it in a closet.

Needs more interpretation. Pretty boring take on the source material. It just runs though a couple of times with too-loud snare playing along.

NO

This is the case. NO Override for being way too conservative. This arguably has no arrangement value by OCR standards.. This should have gotten the form letter.