OCR02473 - *YES* Puggsy 'Last Lucky Planet' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original Judgement: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33286

I love this tune too much to give up after a rejection :P. So this resub is a pretty huge overhaul compared to the one I submitted many months ago. Style changes, instrument changes, production improvement, etc. Some fundamental things have stayed the same though. Hope you enjoy! :)

Contact Information

CJthemusicdude

CJthemusicdude.com

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Puggsy

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Cove theme.

Name of remix: Last Lucky Planet

Additional information: The composer = Matt Furniss. System = Genesis.

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix: I've always loved the tunes from Puggsy, the whole soundtrack is awesome so I decided to give it some love.

• 5 weeks later...

Some of the weaknesses from the first sub are still present, like some slightly stiff sequencing, but the soundscape is definitely feeling better. I enjoyed the first one, and definitely feel this is a step up. Whether or not the other J's will be coo with the rigid timing remains to be seen, but I did feel that overall this was over the bar.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was prepared to hate this, because the last version was, to put it bluntly, terrible. This version's intro caught my attention in a good way, and there was clearly a lot more thought and creativity put into this new cut. The synths & effect that started at 1:07 (lasting until 1:23) were pretty generic, but were surrounded by better sounds.

At 1:40, I wasn't feeling the synthy backing; it was on the generic sounding side, but it was OK. The woodwind lead and syrupy instrumentation worked well in combination. Drums at 2:29 sounded a bit robotic, but were serviceable. This section until 2:57 could have used something extra in the background to provide better contrast with the brief percussion dropoff at 2:59, but it's not a major criticism.

All that production nitpicking aside, what else can I say other than this is a great, meaningful improvement over the first version and what should have been sent the first time. You really explored a much larger sound palette with some stock but solid instruments, including a lot of great throwback sounds that evoked chiptune & MOD soundtracks, and you also employed much more substantial development and dynamics in the arrangement. You really showed something promising on this one, nice work!

YES

The sequencing here is a tad mechanical, I agree, but the writing itself is very dynamic and musical, so it doesn't have as bad of a robotic feel overall. Sometimes the sounds feel a little bit stock-ish/generic, and things like the acoustic guitar in particular don't sound very good at all, but at the end the really creative melodies and arrangement trumps all. I'm down with this, it's got a very old school vibe but I hope people will appreciate that for what it's worth :-)

YES