Your ReMixer name - CystemicCyanide

Your real name- William Clark

Your email address-

Your website-

Your userid - 46247

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Metroid Prime 3

Name of arrangement - Death in Transition

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Metroid Prime 3 - Gandrayda Boss Battle Theme

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Link to the original soundtrack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZ1leqQfT0

Your own comments about the mix - Almost 5 years ago I submitted a much lesser version of this song to OC remix, it was denied. I had just learned how to play with music, severely put down by the rejection, I decided I would no longer need anyone's approval for my music to be considered "worthy". I have decided to re-submit this song in it's new form 5 years later, having almost 10 versions in-between the original submission and this final form. This re-submission is a symbol of my own constitution to not care what anyone thinks in any aspect. Social roles people act upon, simply because they were taught to. I will not abide by this, the world is my own.

• 4 weeks later...

Plays it close to the source overall, but offers a new soundscape, and some new counterpoint ideas. The balance overall worked pretty well, and the more intense tempo and transitions are nice. Overall it is close on the arrangement side, but I feel it's personalized enough, and the production is passable. I dig it. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to this one quite a bit, and I think that while this is a close call, I am comfortable giving it a nod. As Andrew mentions, the arrangement overall is close to the source, but there are a lot of new details and the transitions between sections are great. The sounds themselves aren't the best, and I think the exposed drums at the beginning wasn't the best idea, but when things are going I think they mesh fairly well.

Good luck with the rest of the votes.

YES

Got an email from the mixer:

"Death in Transition is not for your site, I will upload it to a site with enjoyable music, and not for what appears to be a now an Inspired by X remix kind of site. I want to be apart of a remix site that has enjoyable music, and from what I understand looking through countless posts by your own judges fighting these same claims, you would agree that OCR is not the site for enjoyable remixes, just rearranged non-predictable types (even though when I used to browse your site it was about the enjoyment, so you changed.)

I no longer give your site permission to post my remix.

Thanks for your time."

• 1 month later...

Yes, we clearly hate enjoyable music. If it sounds like a submission could be enjoyable, we vote NO.

In fact, people come to the site specifically to download unenjoyable music. Our rules are set up so that you don't even have to use the source material at all, we just put video game characters on the site to trick the users. :lol:

Kidding aside, it sounds like William visited that old Shizz thread and misconstrued things.

1) A submission doesn't need to fit our personal tastes to vote YES on it. We also don't vote NO because a song doesn't fit our personal tastes. That's open-minded.

2) If a submission's arrangement or production doesn't meet the site's standards, we'll vote NO even if we enjoy the song in a vacuum. For example, we won't YES covers that are too low on interpretation, even if the performance and production are enjoyable. Close covers can be fine, they just need substantial enough, distinct, personal interpretation. We don't have a production bias. That's fair.

Our rules are the reason why we didn't post this -

(very enjoyable) - but we posted this:
(also very enjoyable)

It's just silly that apparently 5 years ago, our rules were fine and the community's music was enjoyable, but now, everything has somehow changed drastically even though the bar and the standards are still the same.

I haven't heard the submission and I'm not begging for reconsideration, I just think William's choice is a misunderstanding, and makes a lot of unjustified negative assumptions.