*NO* Illusion of Gaia 'Treehouse of the Ancients'

djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/iog.rsn - "Town" (iog-10.spc)

Wow, this is some old stuff; played this all the way back on VGF23 right after Chris released it. I know Jesse was pretty glib right there, but he's right per his usual, so I follow suit. It's a fairly good upgrade but unfortunately not hugely interpretive.

The instrumentation was interesting, but didn't really alter/hugely expand the feel of things with this conservative take unlike, say, "Tuatara Swamp Jam". Things were more upbeat here compared to the source, but the mood was essentially the same. Perhaps some people are gonna harp on the sound choices or production, but I thought everything was put together reasonably well.

I did like the original section from 1:34-2:25; it fit in very well thematically, but consequently, I also felt the source material itself was fairly unexplored. Reminds me of why I should have voted NO on Mid Night. I really liked the bird sfx as well as Amanda's guest vocals, but would have loved to see you branch out into some more interpretive ideas on the melody itself during the more straightforward sections to put a more personalized spin on things.

Looking into the Illusion of Gaia soundtrack SPCs, I'd really be interested in your approach on either "Time" or "Drifting". Hope a NO isn't discouraging. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised I ended up going this way. I liked the original sections, and the cover-style material is actually expanded fairly well, but this just needs a few more ideas in expanding the instrumentation and providing variations on the melody to supplement what's already there, IMO. I'd love to see this one come our way again if possible.

NO (borderline)