*NO* Kirby Super Star 'Kirby's Kossack'

djpretzel

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/kss.rsn

Decent orchestration effort, though it needs refinement and you'll be better with further experience under your belt. Arrangement was alright based on what I remember from the original (well, I've played Smash Brothers...). Nothing particularly daring, but you did farily well embellishing the source material. Being half-Russian myself, I don't think the Russian feel was captured incredibly well, but I certainly heard the influence and it's not a bad try.

The arrangement was already retreading itself at 2:15 of your 4:18 track, though the support instrumentation was different the second time around. Take more liberties with the source material beyond adding more instruments. Any further personal/unique touches would be to your benefit. 3:08-3:17 really exposed the artificial texture of your strings; tended to drag the piece down. Other parts of the samples you used were also exposed at times, but that was a particularly glaring example. Interested in commentary from the orchestral Js, but not a bad effort. Keep improving.

NO

there are some runs in the strings that cannot be played, in my opinion. they certainly dont sound realistic.

the samples arent great, and at times they stick out more than others. The arrangement itself is pretty decent..not mindblowingly creative, but it's solid.

i think the biggest problem with this mix is that it doesnt sound very organic, both the samples and the parts. the fast parts sound ridiculous, and the solos sound mechanical.

NO

Not a terrible attempt at orchestral, but clearly an early effort at the genre. The samples used actually sound pretty good - they don't sound like any free ones I have heard. What is really lacking is the orchestration itself. As Vig mentioned, the strings play some unrealistic parts, and there is not much attention paid to any sort of complex or interesting harmonies/instrumentations. The percussive parts are bland, and the other instruments don't blend realistically or cohesively. It's difficult to really articulate what I'm talking about - I suppose simply put, this sounds artificial to me.

The arrangement is decent, albeit repetitive. I would like to see more original material and variation in here. There are a couple cool ideas, but they come and go quickly. You don't just have to keep repeating the same theme over and over. You can introduce your own melodic or harmonic ideas as well. You don't have to write entirely new sections, just go with the flow and make the arrangement your own.

Production overall wasn't bad. The whole mix sounded sort of muddy and sonically cluttered, but it wasn't a huge deal. Try tweaking your reverb and EQ more to make the different instruments stand out from eachother. Sample quality sounds just fine, as I mentioned, and I don't think you need to worry about that. The arrangement and orchestration should be your main focus here. Good luck.

NO

Everything that needs to be said has already been said, but I'll throw in some comments to close this out.

Your percussion sounds like four-on-the-floor techno percussion run thought an orchestral sample set. Seriously; mmSS! becomes BOOMCHING!

It sounds like everything is run though reverb on the same mixer channel; in other words, too much reverb and everything is bleeding together. Your instruments need to be clearly defined when you're doing something like this.

Originality would help too, although I thought that the runs were written excellently (played on those string samples is another story; blech :( ) but this song basically follows the progression of the original. It needs more of you.

Keep at it. NO