Mixing with 1 ear

Hi

This is a vague and generalized question perhaps, but let's say someone has learned how to mix with both ears (like anyone would), then they had to mix with only 1 ear because they lost use of one. Would the same mixing methods still work? I could understand setting your volume, or pretty much doing a mono mix in one speaker in the ear that works... Or even panning something 25 right and then "imagining" that it would sound the same way when panned left the same amount. Is this possible and would it provide a same quality of mixes as a whole or is this too risky?

Have you busted one ear then?

Or just planning on removing it?

My ear is damaged internally and on the way out. Just thinking ahead. :-o The docs also said my retinas are thinning and that I will need a transplant for my eyes in the future. But I don't think there's a work-around for that. :-)

If you are very familiar with the equipment, samples, and programs you are using, I cant imagine it being too difficult. You might need someone's help with the finishing touches though. If you make a track in mono, you can always go back and make it stereo, then touch up the volume levels afterwards.

Ok! Yeah, so if I mixed it in mono, I could pretty much separate it into a stereo mix and it should sound ok, eh?

No offense, but it's called the Special Olympics for a reason. For an engineer, having the use of only one ear is a very real disability and you will not be 100% effective nor be able to truly keep up with engineers with the use of both their ears.

In fact, I consider myself as slightly ineffective as an engineer for the mere fact that I know I have ear damage at 16khz and up, I can barely hear noise above 16khz, and that is a VERY REAL problem when mixing/mastering.

That doesn't mean you can't be an effective musician, composer, performer, etc.

Just not a professional engineer.

Which brings up another important topic--ear care. Some things are unavoidable, but most people don't take good enough care of their ears. I don't know the circumstances surrounding the loss of use of your ear, so I wouldn't accuse you of damaging your own ear in some way, but for everyone else reading, curious, becareful. Your ears are important.

I no longer go to loud concerts or shows without attenuating ear plugs, I take breaks during long sessions, sometimes of an hour or more, if I feel fatigue setting in I will stop all together or find some way to under-use my ears for a while. I've already lost some of my top end frequency range and I do not want to lose anymore.

Or you could, you know, start asking people for feedback again so they can help you fix what you can't hear. :D

Yeah. I'm going to have to start doing that. Cause I've already lost about half the hearing in my left ear. It's like I'm only listening with the right ear and there's a "ghost" of the song in my left that I can barely hear. That's what it seems like anyway. And there's practically no high frequencies there at all....

I'm going to see a doctor and see if there's anything that can be done but I appreciate all the help you guys have shared in this thread.