Your ReMixer name: Artem Bank

Your real name: Artem Bank

Your website: http://www.cagedrabbit.com

Your userid: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=25987

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Wild Arms

Name of arrangement: Harmonious Apparitions

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Way of Illusion

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :

This is a resubmit, where the "wrong notes" that cause dissonance in the beginning is basically gone (though, dissonance is clashing of notes - which involves non-chordal tones.) Other than that, a few changes to the drums, and general production polish.

Original comments:

I joined onto the project wanting a song to remix, and having never played the game, really didn't know much about it. Way of Illusion was one of the few tracks left open, and I just kind of jumped on it. It's a really weird source, to say the least. But I eventually thought of a way to do it, and that's that really. I think I only picked it because I managed to find a progression on my guitar that went with it. Yes, the dissonance in parts is intentional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkc1tOkG-4

• 3 weeks later...

This felt better overall, but still had some chords in the guitar from :38-1:00 that didn't fit with the melodies well. The section at 1:00 was better, but throughout, the violin is way too exposed; and sounds pasted on top. In a lot of sections it was also difficult to hear the source, as things are very different from the original, and in my opinion, too far. There is a definite improvement from the original sub here, but it needs more revisions; sorry. :-(

No

• 4 weeks later...

There isn't much to add to what Andrew has already said here. I will say that there are still some dissonant sections, like 0:11 between the flute and warbly synth, as well as some of the backing chords to the melody. Overall it feels a bit like you're trying to fit the source into a chord structure that is similar but not exactly working as intended, which is throwing things off. Some sections work well, and others just aren't cutting it.

The violin feels a little mechanical, as well as being pasted. You could add a bit more humanization there.

Gonna have to send this one back to you again.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

As much as I appreciate the attempt here, I have to agree that it's just not quite working yet. Under closer scrutiny, the violin and flute leads definitely feel thin and not very humanized, either, like they're playing out of their range. I personally don't have a problem with the dissonant chord progression, I think for the most part what you've got works and when you've got those deep strings and strummed acoustic guitar in the latter half of the song, it sounds fantastic. But I would also like to see if there's anything you can do to polish up how the chords and the melody work together a little bit more before this comes through.

NO (borderline, please resubmit!)