*NO* Frogger 2 'Grid Lock'

djpretzel

Email sub file Frogger_2_Swampy's_Revenge_Grid_Lock_OC_ReMix.mp3

---------------------------------------------

Remixer Name: PatrickWagstaff

----------------------------------------------

Song Info

Remix Title: Grid Lock

Original Title: (Unknown) but it's from the multi player level "Grid Lock" hence my Title

Original Composer: Andy Morris

Album: Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge

Platform: PC, PlayStation

Year: 2000

Sweetness I've finally finished it! I hope it meets the OCR standards as far as quality and composition.

It took me a while to finish the drums on this baby, (procrastinator), but I think that all my hard work has paid off.

I did my best to give them that break beat feel that the original had along with the slight techno funk that the melody carries.

But man,! I love this song!!! (I'm so proud of myself). I can only hope you enjoy listening to this as much as I do.

PS (for the Judges [if this makes it to them]) Don't dismiss my song on the account of "It's to short" (that would be so spoiled of you :)

email me at rwagstaff@houston.rr.com or pm me at vgmix for a copy of the original

Peace out Dudes

• 2 weeks later...

Per my usual, I'd prefer to judge everything with the source tune in tow, but without it, I'm gonna have to make the call without it. If you know the original is scarce, send it to the submissions inbox regardless of being asked to or not. Not really having a crisis about not having the source, because I don't think this should pass regardless.

Even though I be biasedly groovin' to it, the synths were really bland, the supporting elements were very sparse, and the composition wasn't engaging or interesting. The increase in intensity at 2:03 was what the track needed finally. Do what you can to the sounds to have more depth and power. The ending at 2:30 was really lazy and boring.

Nothing against Pat, who I can see getting posted eventually, because he has a nice string of material that I felt was good enough to at least be played on my show when I heard it. But at the same time, I'm kind of tired of all these submissions coming in every so often that display little overall improvement. I hear people with analogous styles and I'm just seeing others pass Pat by and display actual progress from submission to submission.

Generally lots of potential, but vastly underdeveloped compositionally, and not showing enough growth in synth programming or production skills. I'm not trying to demotivate you, but I don't wanna see you treading water like this. Slow it down and focus more on making solid products instead of dumping out all this average material on such a regular basis.

NO

I am enjoying the pervasive phatness of all of the sounds here. I’m surprised that things aren’t muddy with so many low elements in the mix. That being said, some highs added to the some of the percussion or leads synths wouldn’t hurt. Overall a good clean sound.

I really want to disagree with Larry because this is a fun a groovy track but what’s already been said is dead on. The synths are repetitive and bland and the overall track dynamics aren’t exciting until 2:03. I enjoy and even prefer short tracks as long as the time is used well. Here unfortunately there are many places with only a kick and synth, or beat and bass, etc. The drums were pretty cool throughout though and I actually liked the drum solo-to-Ribbit ending.

All-in-all, some spicier synth processing and a few more elements to jazz things up in the more sparse sections would do gobs of good. Enjoyable track though.

NO.

Everything sounds too muddy. I would go back to the compositional stage and figure out what's causing the mud. Low end instrument + bass. Also consider rolling off some of the lower end frequencies and boosting some of the treble to create more balance. There's no sheen in the mix. The composition for the most part is pretty cool and catchy, but still lacking and as has been said "underdeveloped." Promising mix, but I'd like to hear this with more work done. More expansion, more polish, more instrumentation.

Fun in some respects, but it's not quite there yet. NO

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda hard to judge something without the original on hand, but whatever.

I agree with Gray that the sounds are muddy. That is because a lot of the song elements reside in the low to low-mid frequencies. Apply some EQ, distortion, and crisp reverb or delay to the higher sounds in order to get them to fill up more of the frequency spectrum. At the same time, try to soften the lower end with EQ and removal of reverb if you have any. Doing both of these things, and possibly adding some high end percussion/harmony instruments will really help the sound overall. On a side note, you don't have to encode so high either.

In terms of the timbre of the sounds, I think you could spend a little more time tweaking stuff. The drums are really pretty subdued. The bassdrum, for lack of a better word, just 'plops' rather than delivering a nice 'kick' sound. Maybe it's because it's meshing with the acoustic bass poorly - it's hard to tell. Cut off the end of the kick or layer some acoustic bass drum samples in order to give it a tighter sound. Don't forget some compression too. The snare/claps don't sound bad, but they could use some compression and maybe light distortion to get a 'thwap' and a bite sound. Sounds like you were going for that, so just keep experimenting with ways to bring the groove out more. The synths sound really basic and bland, like the FL 3xOsc presets. You definitely want to head over to www.kvr-vst.com and www.patcharena.com to grab some new stuff right away.

Again, I can't really talk about arrangement. It seems kind of sparse at times. Rather than repeat the drumline, you could mess with it using panning, lofi, flanging, phasing, or filtering. Or, if you don't want to do that, add and remove layers quickly to liven things up.

Overall, not a bad effort, but still needs work.

NO