*NO* Perfect Dark 'Dark Training'

djpretzel

Evenin' all.

Recently cobbled together a little Perfect Dark remix which my friends reckon I should send in here. Fair do's, then.

Game: Perfect Dark

Song: Training Area

Composer: Grant Kirkhope

My name: MikeChaff

My site: http://www.chaffcity.net

Forum ID no: 8374

ReMix Link:

Post it if you like it, heckle me from afar if you don't, etc, etc. I hope you all are well.

~Mike

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/usf/pdusf.rar - 04 "Training Room"

This flat-out reminded me of the kind of style of mixes we got maybe 3 years ago. Solid electronic/groove based stuff. Some people are gonna shit on that, but I couldn't give a shit. Reminds me of well-made older material like Taysiir's Blaster Master mix "TI Blasta Party" in particular, but for others it could remind them of something else in the same vein.

The drums sounded like they used practically the same hits/loops the whole time, but the mixing on them was fine (a bit loud but not overbearing). Adding more variation to your percussion and beatwork (while not altering things dramatically) would only help the track, IMO. Nice idea for the skip at 1:25.

The track could have used a dynamic change of some sort at 2:35 instead of retreading what came before. I'm voting like The Wingless in that my utterly groove-biased heart says YES, but in the interest of moving forward in terms of standards and quality, I've gotta vote NO. If other Js feel it's solid enough where passing this wouldn't feel like a step backwards, I wouldn't challenge it.

The arrangement of the source tune is solid, but the last minute of the track just repeated what came before. Practically anything you could do to add some more arrangement ideas and/or variation in the last minute would gain a YES. Perhaps look into adding ideas from later on in the source tune; there's some good stuff about a minute and a half into "Training Room". Please come back with the resubmission, bro.

NO (please resubmit)

This is actually interesting to some degree, but I can't help but feel this is all groove based. There really isn't any substance here compositionally or instrumentally. I felt the arrangement was fairly straight forward in some respects, almost like it built on it rather than reinterpreted it. I'd like to hear you play with the theme more, but most importantly add some meat to this mix. Also I felt this was very repetitive not only in the drums/perc but also the other elements, mix it up! A cool listen, but I don't feel it's there yet for the reasons I and Liontamer mentioned. Bland ending to boot.

NO

This is pretty cool indeed. Nice groove, heavy percussion, clean synths and a smooth thick bass. The FX at 0:59-1:25 were nicely done as was the break beat stuff at 1:54. The cut at 1:25 was sloppy to me. The sound didn’t completely cut out and the break came at low momentum point in the song where it seemed kinda pointless.

Listening to the source, this is a little too repetitive to pass as is. The original sections and some of the source sections were really nicely arranged but we get a few too many repeats of FX and supporting melodic elements as Gray mentioned. It’s a good length so I would only think about replacing some of the repeated sections with more of the creativity that fills the rest of the track

NO. Please Resubmit

I agree with Larry on this one. This is very much the quality of many OCRemixes from a few years back. I think some of the sounds could be a little tighter to match the quality of the percussion/fx stuff - for instance, the lead 'pluck' distorted synth and the background organ-style pads. Try using EQs to sculpt the sound a bit more so the low end doesn't get quite as muddy for instance, and try to adjust the volume levels a bit so the harmony instruments (like the pad) aren't so loud. Finally, the bass kick sound is a little mushy when combined with the other low-end sounds; try to grab another sample, maybe something more acoustic to match the snare. I like some of the arrangement ideas here, but I'd love to hear more. More variations, more ideas, more changes in the beat. This is definitely not a bad mix. Tune it up and resubmit.

NO