Epic Galaxy (Mega Man 9 - Galaxyman stage)

Napket

Okay, here goes! This is my first ever remix. Original song is from Mega Man 9, Galaxyman stage. This piece is from that catchy main part of the song, original should be found from Youtube.

I listened this over and over and over again trying to get it sound okay. I'm a rookie, so forgive me, if the instruments do not sound that good, but all the advice is welcome! Mostly I adjusted the attack rates among other things.

I didn't have any notes, I tried to listen the original piece and play by the ear, but a remix should have something of my own, right? :-D

Anyway, please do not hesitate to post good or bad comments, from critics we new guys learn, right? :smile:

Soundcloud link

http://soundcloud.com/napket/epic-galaxy

edit: The choirs can't be heard well, but I intend to use my own voice in majority of the remixes I'll make. I now just tried with this sound (didn't have time to record my voice), it won't be in finished song. :)

Strings are quite bland, and the mixing is raw and... well, bland. Read up on how to mix things to give everything its own area in the frequency range, and use your ears to figure out how loud each instrument should be.

I found it really helpful to pick a track (a well-mixed track by someone better) with a similar sound (instrumentation, mostly) and compare levels. How loud are the drums? Can I hear the shaker over the lead? Does it have too much bass? Is the lead centered? What's panned left and what's panned right? jne...

Good luck. :D

Thank you very much for your comments!

Yeah I didn't mix sounds that much, I just wanted to try and find the right instruments. The drums were most difficult for me, that's why I concentrated on them in this first, raw version. :smile:

Also, I do have a couple of remixes/originals I listen over and over again, mostly the songs from epic movie and game soundtracks like Mass Effect 2 or Hans Zimmer works. They help me a lot more than manuals, because I learn better from critic and by listening, maybe because I can't understand everything in English manuals. :-D

Anyway, thank you for encouragement. I'll upload the second version once done, so that I'll know what to use in the finished song. Hey hoy!

Ok, an updated version of the same loop I've been working on. I'm working on the other parts of the song, but I've been busy, and want to mix this first and receive comments.

I edited the strings by making a different tracks for violins and cello. but am I the only one who thinks the main strings could be...well, better? I like the violin at the end, but something bugs me about the rest. EQ is edited on every track now, too.

Anyway, all comments are welcome!

Soundcloud link

http://soundcloud.com/napket/epic-galaxy-v2

Well, the strings are lagging behind. Changing sample start, shortening the attack, or just moving them back a little so they play earlier should solve it. The first two might not be possible in your sampler, idunno. Then there's dynamics, which you need more of. Imagine how a real orchestra would play - what parts would be loud, what parts would be soft.

Your percussion needs to be louder, and your bass drum doesn't actually need that much low frequencies. Do more comparisons to other tracks with a similar sound.

Keep at it, you're learning. :)

Thank you for your comment! I edited the strings by setting them to start to play earlier, and now it sounds fine. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed that problem without someone mentioning it. :smile:

Your percussion needs to be louder, and your bass drum doesn't actually need that much low frequencies.

Sorry for asking (my English isn't perfect), but does percussion mean the drums/hi-hat etc? :P I increased the sound for the toms, and it actually sounds now better.

Now trying to record my vocals, but because I'm a little bit perfectionist, I'm doing a couple of versions and pick the best. Also, listening the original and playing by ear the rest of the song.

My dictionary says percussion is a "musical instruments played by striking with the hand or with a hand-held or pedal-operated stick or beater, or by shaking, including drums, cymbals, xylophones, gongs, bells, and rattles". So yes. :P

And when you do something that makes it sound better, you're probably making it sound better. Learn to tell when something sounds good or bad, learn to figure out how it would sound better, learn the tools so you know how to make it sound better, and learn to trust your ears and your abilities. basically, learn stuff. :D If it sounds better, it probably is better.

Took me a few years, but you're in the right place if you wanna learn stuff. ppl here will comment on all kinds of problems they hear in your track. Not all of it will be accurate or necessary, but much of it will be, and everything is worth considering. My advice: try to understand everything, and fix what you can agree with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm sorry I've been away for so long, but I've got so much going on right now that I don't have time to finish the remix yet. I'm taking care of my partner's dad's dog until I move at the end of September. And because of the move, all my time goes to the packing up stuff and cleaning and arranging things. I edited the part I've posted earlier and recorded other parts of the song, but I still need to mix a lot. But if not before the move, then once I've settled I can continue without interruptions. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

So much has happened, all of it bad.

My computer crashed, totally broke. Before that I transferred all my files from the computer to Lacie hard drive, including all the music I made and Cubase's files etc. Well, when I tried to open the hard drive with my mothers computer, it says it's empty. Computer says there's almost 17 Gb of stuff, but it can't be seen anywhere, just an empty hard drive. 17 Gb would be far too less anyway, so I'm thinking some kind of virus got my Lacie or something. I tried a hard drive recovery software, found some music files (not the ones I made) and tried to recover them without success.

So because of all this, I have to wait until I get my pay and can buy a new computer, install Cubase again and make this remix again. I can't remember all the settings and editing, but I just have to try my best at remaking this. I was so close at finishing the song, but the Lady Luck isn't by my side it seems.

So the break is still going to continue, I just hope people, who have helped me this much will remain patient until I can update more. This is as frustrating as waiting for Diablo III, but I promise to start again as soon as I can. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a new laptop! :D

I'm still working at my part-time job, so once that's over (about a week or so), I'm going to start this mix again. Adding trumpets/tubas etc, editing the strings and so on. I want to try how it would work if the main melody would be played by brass instruments instead of strings, but the violin at the end of this part remains, I like it too much. :D

The delay is almost over, hopefully I'll get an update to share with you soon.

• 4 months later...

Ah hah hah haa, look how long it's been, my god...

Well there has been lots of stuff to do because of the upcoming move to UK, so I paused this project for a while, even though I got new laptop and all. And Gears of War 3! And Mass Effect 3! Yeah, they are to blame!

But, now that I have time again, I'm going to finish this. I've been working on the other parts of the song instead of the one I've shared here before. I uploaded the piano intro, which still needs some drums and strings, in Soundcloud, just to show people that I'm not dead. The link to my profile can be found in the signature of this post.

Sorry it took this long, but finally you can expect more updates!

• 2 weeks later...

http://soundcloud.com/napket/epic-galaxy-intro-2

The perfectionist in me says I still need to work on this a little, but the rookie has to show her progress. I love playing with EQ.

There's going to be a new part of the song which then follows intro, and after that comes the part I've uploaded on Soundcloud before. Just have to recreate that one. And then the ending. I'm working hard, getting there, little by little...

Edit: Yeah the perfectionist in me had to edit it at least a little. Now it has a bit deeper sound to it (ungh, that sounded better in Finnish than in English, oh well..).

• 3 weeks later...

http://soundcloud.com/napket/epic-galaxy-v3

Some more epic galaxies. Now it's the edited intro and little more. Just have to recreate that old part I once made and soon this will be finished.

I had some trouble with this file, it sounded somehow broken, but now Soundcloud is playing it normally.

Edit: I could not leave it alone when I noticed I couldn't hear the strings almost at all, among other things. Had to edit it again before going forward. And maybe this time I will. Perhaps.