*NO* Revenge of Shinobi 'Memories of Blood & Bone'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: Fallen Seraph

Email address: fallen_seraphx@yahoo.co.uk

Userid: 10661

Game arranged: The Revenge of Shinobi

Arrangement: Memories of Blood & Bone

Individual song arranged: Chinatown

I usually sketch up my write-ups immediately after finishing the ReMix, but I sat on this one for a few weeks (...procrastination). So, forgive me if I leave something out.

Um, where are my memories, of this one gone?

Nothing comes to mind, but blood and bone...

Been shedding these tears eternally

Looking for Consent, I'm nothing more, than a Shinobi

Lost in Chinatown, wayward on the Corner of Sunset and Keys

Bad sushi within me, I can feel that factory funk...that produced these

Yeah...couldn't come up with anything to say...so...throw it up on some speakers, crank it up, and let the beat knock.

Hope you enjoy this one! (Just realised...this game is as old as I am...damn...)

• 4 weeks later...

The production could be a bit cleaner overall, with more distinction between the parts, but overall I was feeling this chilled out track. Not blown away, but had a good time looping it for 30 min.

The string sample was a bit weak as well, and a few strange mixing choices, like the left-panned bass, but I am mostly nitpicking here, the track feels solid.

I think the beat could be varied a bit more and improved upon, but it shifts during the different sections, which keeps the variation up a little, and the breakdown where it is more prominent has those subtle stutters. I do wish you had deviated from the exact same beat as the source in some parts, but it's not a complete copy.

It may be a close vote, depending on how people feel about the issues, but I am ok giving this one the nod.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to have to disagree with Andrew, unfortunately. I think the arrangement has promise, but right now a lot of it is very sparse and isn't really developed to a level I think is passable for the site. There are too many repetitive sections, as well, for my tastes.

The production overall needs some work as well. The soundscape could use more pads to fill out the sections, and I think the balance overall could be tweaked a bit. The drums need some more variation; the beat is cool, but it needs fills and some subtle differences to keep my interest.

I think this one needs some work, I'd suggest hitting up the WIP forums.

NO

• 1 month later...

Everything the above two judges said rings true to me, but I'd also like to add that the stiffness of your sequencing overall is also a strike against the mix. It's noticeable in your drums, a few synth melodies, but the worst offender is by far the piano, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned so far. You need to definitely soften up the velocities on the piano, and throw in some subtle timing shifts to give your beat a little bit more groove to it. The same goes for your sine lead, which sounds like it should be using portamento, pitch bend, vibrato, etc. more than it currently is. Any one of those effects could make those small, but noticeable synth lines more interesting.

Throwing some more atmospheric, slow-attack pads to fill out the soundscape here would benefit you GREATLY, I feel, and give your song a more full-bodied sound. You might want to consider some additional harmonies/counter melodies if adding a pad isn't enough to do the trick.

More variations/fills on your drum beat would also help keep this mix from growing stale.

Pretty cool vibe, I wasn't quite sure what was going on but when the bass came in I was feeling the song overall, it just needs more expansion/fleshing out to keep it fresh and full-sounding.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

While there's some good ideas and a good vibe, the production kind of does this in. Not only are the drum patterns on loop for a lot of it, the velocities don't change on things like the hi-hat and it's really apparent. Sometimes that kind of stuff is easily ignored in tracks where there is a lot going on, but this is such a sparse track that I couldn't help but focus on it. I don't know what you did to the bass and kick, but I would highly recommend centering both to give your track some solidness in the middle. The piano bridge was also really awkward, for the reasons Emunator pointed out. This kind of reminds me of the first version of your SoR track, and I have a feeling you can polish this one up a lot more too.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

not a lot to add to whats already been mentioned, and I agree with a lot of the critiques. the song is pretty sparse throughout, there are some generic/fakey sounds, and some of the sequencing/articulations could be cleaned up. this is on the right track, but it needs another coat of polish to really shine bright.

NO(resub)