*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Mushroom Depths'

djpretzel

This is a remix of the Underground theme from Super Mario Bros with some influences of the Overworld theme. The underground theme is very short so I made a lot of own stuff in this one. I played the song a lot on my keyboard trying to extend it, and use the keys used in the song to really get something that fitted in.

The samples used in this song is mostly from GPO and z3ta+ I also used the good ol' nes soundfont but i added a lot of effects to it trying to get it sound more professional.

Game: Super Mario Bros

Songs ReMixed: Underground and Overworld

It's my first submission to OCR in a long time so here are my details.

Remixer Name: Tab Newflax

E-mail: tabnewflax@bredband.net

Nice. There's a good amount of variation and development on the theme and you've added a tasteful amount of original material (plus, a nice reference to the main Mario theme). Synths and drums, while perhaps nothing special, seem decently pulled off to me.

An above-average and largely enjoyable mix.

YES

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb1.zip - Track 2 ("Underground BGM")

Not really feeling this one. A lot of the sounds came off as pretty bare; I didn't feel as if there was much cohesion amongst the sounds here. The tempo, the percussion, the overall bareness of sounds, and the sheer length all created a pretty plodding atmosphere.

Can't say I heard anything here that was derived from SMB's "Overworld BGM". Like Izz, I liked a lot of the arrangement/compostional ideas here, but on the other hand the presentation was extremely lacking to me. Needs to be beefed up beyond plodding kicks and claps, with the melodic elements more prominently positioned. Anything to drive the song forward would help.

NO

Can’t remember where I first heard this (WIP board maybe?) but yeah it took me a couple of listens to find the overworld reference too Larry. It comes in at around 2:02 and sounds kinda off to me. Interesting reference though.

This mix is pretty repetitive owing much of that to the source but then again, only half of the already short source was used. I think Tab does a good job of arranging to keep the theme present and also keep things interesting, however two minutes less would have been great. I didn’t think that we needed the repeat of the intro at 3:33 but sections like 0:58-1:20 are interesting and serve to keep things moving (they also remind me of some of the really cool Nine Inch Nails stuff).

Sample quality was ok. The synths were pretty default sounding but they weren’t bad. Some of those snare shots sound like they hit a little late which is somewhat irritating at times when the snare is the most present element.

This is a tough one for me. The mix plods along bordering on too much repetition but it is still a cool mix with a good amount of creativity, and decent execution.

Borderline YES

I'm not feeling this one either. GPO and z3ta+ are capable of professional quality work, but here I feel it sounds a bit plain. The sounds and synths almost sound generic stock stuff. I agree with larry that this to me sounded bare. I'd like to hear some more processing to create a denser background behind the synths. Drums and percussion could have been mixed up more to give the piece a more driving energy. That being said, I agree with Israfel and Harmony, in that there's a lot of neat creativity going on here. I'd love to hear this realized with more polish and work.

Borderline NO

This is a really tough call for me. I love the really creative harmonic sections that do remind me of Reznor. There are lots of great ideas and lots of dynamic variety. however, the mix suffers from a plodding pace..the movement between ideas isnt quite quick enough. The drums get repetitive at times, and the texture could be deeper. i think the drums are a bigger concern than the texture though. rethink the drums and hurry the arrangement along and this is good stuff.

NO

I was feelin' it.

The groove that some consider (perhaps rightly so) as ponderous, I just see and feel as different. There's a lot of fun creativity going here, and I think it translates well to the ear. It's different, while having the benefit of sounding like it's not trying too hard to be different. A sort of unique effortlessness.

I'm down widdit

YES

I like the fact that there's someone doing something original with super mario bros. What I don't like is the execution. I could count the number of different sounds on one hand. Not necessarily bad, when used appropriately. But here, we have this off-the-wall crazy shit going on, but it doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. Melodically and harmonically? yes. Dynamically? no. Conceptually? not really.

Normally I encourage any type of originality we can get. But in this tune, it's too disjointed and dare i say - random - to get by. Even just a phat bassline that's more present or smooth low pad to transition and flow along, along with a tempo increase. The point is, it's a mix that has an interesting premise, but is simply uninteresting to listen to. But that's all subjective nonsense. Opinions, even. The fact is that it sparsely uses the original to a degree that the original sections do not seem at all derived from the source. Add to that dynamically dead percussion and lifeless synths that sound pre-set. Get some velocity alteration in your percussion. I realize it's supposed to be all mechanical and stuff, but i'd love to hear some nicely placed syncopated fills and patterns, along with some type of dynamic work. The synths seriously need some attention. Some of them serve the theme well, being straightforward and mechanical, but oh how i'd LOVE to hear that lead WAAAAIIILLL with some filter automation. Just a suggestion.

This one has got some work to be done until I can pass it.

NO

-D

how dare anyone compare this mediocre effort to the genius of trent reznor!

ok maybe the phazerpiano reminds me of something off the fragile.. anyways..

if this was an exercise in making z3ta sound underwhelming, then mission accomplished.

it's not that bad, but like gray noted -- this should sound a lot better.

and like dan, i will applaud you for doing something interesting with a tired old theme.

however interesting the idea may be though, it fails to bring home the bacon.

the new progression feels forced, it doesn't naturally fit in with the source material.

the new material as well just doesn't seem to jive with the theme.

this just doesn't seem well thought-out.

no