Pro Tools

I've used versions 7 and 8, couldn't tell you about 9 (the latest). I really like it when doing straight-up recording and mixing, but, like Andrew mentioned, it's not great for composition (or OC ReMixing). It can be done, no doubt, but there are better tools for that job.

Plus, if you go the VST- or AU-based hosting route (Logic, Cubase, FL Studio, whatever), you'll get a lot more fantastic freebie plugins to choose from. You can't get much in the way of free RTAS (the Pro Tools format) plugins.

I used Pro Tools for handful of years and it's still considered an industry standard in recording studios. If you're just working with audio, it's a great DAW but MIDI production isn't really its strong point. If you are looking to work in a recording studio, it's definitely worth learning.

Agreed. (also agree with Skryp and Zircon)

I've used it in college. Was great for live recording and that's what I used it for. For home audio production and composition there are much better options in terms of usability and features else where.

The "industry standard" comes from how widely used it has been in recording studios for a very long time. I've used just about every DAW on the market for full blown songs. Most DAW's nowadays just copy features from each other, so there aren't massive differences in terms of features between each DAW. Pro Tools as an "industry standard" is really more of a historical thing IMO.

I don't mind using it in live recording sessions in a studio but I would not use for full blown compositions.

The "industry standard" comes from how widely used it has been in recording studios for a very long time. I've used just about every DAW on the market for full blown songs. Most DAW's nowadays just copy features from each other, so there aren't massive differences in terms of features between each DAW. Pro Tools as an "industry standard" is really more of a historical thing IMO.

I don't mind using it in live recording sessions in a studio but I would not use for full blown compositions.

Well, he was a recording arts student, and the department had to choose a standard DAW so that the students and profs could communicate their project files reliably. As far as I know, very few of the recording arts students in his program actually used Pro Tools outside of class. Most used Logic since they all had Macs anyway.

And none used my beloved FL Studio :(

Unrivaled editing features makes it a necessary evil. Know it, more importantly, know the shortcuts by heart. If you know PT shortcuts, you will be able to walk into almost any post-production or studio job and rock it. If you don't know PT shortcuts and you walk into a job, you'll look amateur navigating drop menus.

Also, many DAWs let you change their shortcuts to mimic PT's workflow (PT you can't change shortcuts, so they're the same everywhere you go).

It needs a lot of work, even 9.

I teach at a Recording Arts College in their Video Game Sound Design program and we train kids to use ProTools only because it's a necessary evil.

Otherwise, we train in Cubase which has unique tools appropriate for Game Audio.

Push to use VST only if possible, RTAS and AU will be the death of you if you want to do game audio as a career (in games, you need shit to be batch-able and there are no good batch processors that utilize RTAS or AU).

Its editing features and it's really freeform signal flow really accommodate the studio workflow, not to mention that many crusty studio managers have been using it since it was Sound Designer...

Good luck and enjoy what you can from it (make it look pretty if you get bored) ;)

The biggest problem with Pro Tools right now is Avid's support of it. During the past couple years, they have become quite slow to fix various issues. This fact has been doubled for Mac users with every major release of OSX since it seems to be taking them much longer to get a stable version of Pro Tools to work with each upgrade.

I'm actually selling my Digi 002R with Pro Tools LE 8 since I've moved on to other DAWs about a year ago. While I know i can use the 002R with software other than Pro Tools, I felt it was time to move on to something else.