Street Fighter Alfa 2 - Sakura's Theme

ambient

Alright, here we go. This is a wip of the Sakura theme from Street Fighter Alpha 2. It is kind of a remix of a remix - I used a few samples from Marc Star's remix of this. Actually, there are a couple of small samples for another 3-4 OCR remixes.

This mix is obviously not finished, but I just wanted to get some feedback on what people think works, what doesn't work, and how I can improve on transitions. The throaty synth might stay, it might not stay, depends if I can find someone who can do lyrics and vocals in place of it.

Thanks!

http://tindeck.com/listen/kimh

stats.png

My only -minor- issues would be that I can barely make out the source up until the 2nd half of her theme starts up (When the chords kick in after the voice sample) - also, the synth used during that period seemed to swell to a rather high pitch when you were holding the chords - as opposed the staccato which complimented the rhythm a bit more. No, I'm not saying the main Sakura melody should be playing ALL throughout, but perhaps you could HINT towards it by playing the first 6 notes and letting it echo/fade after the last note; like a teaser y'know?

As for the more technical aspects - I'll let one of your fellow professionals tackle that haha.

Overall, I found it really enjoyable man. I know this is a remix OF a remix in a sense, but so far it feels like everything's working together nicely.

Hey, it's your Sakura mix you were talkin' about a while back. Cool.

The drums sound good! I think that Rukunetsu hit the nail on the head though. The source is fairly obscured and that synth does have an almost annoying swell to it. One other suggestion. Perhaps try adding in some moar real instrument samples! I personally find that electronic music becomes way more awesome when it's combined with good use of real instruments.

Anyway, sounding good so far. I don't think it's great just yet though!

Wow! I really like this, quirky as fuck, kinda reminds me of some Mr Oizo tracks. I found there was just enough of the source in there for me to recognise, which is sweet IMO like a nice easter egg in the middle of an already good tune.

I like the synth Rukunetsu mentioned i thought it fits with the song rather well(shrugs).

The sound playing the main melody(vocalish) in the part after may sound better an octave lower perhaps? or atleast with a little more low end content to it. Having said that, as it is it adds to the quirkiness.

Anyway i'm in no way qualified to critique your music so feel free to disregard all ive said.Ill subscribe and wait for a finished version. :D

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! I think the main issue with that synth is that the automation is not perfectly configured for the phrases. I think it will work better once it has been tweaked a little. But I definitely am not ready to throw it out of the window just yet. As for the source not being apparent until later, I just tend to obscure the source melody more than many others do, but some part of it is always there. In this one, a part of the bassline from the original was adapted to play the lead in the beginning. However, I can see how this creates some issues with the flow of the mix, and alluding the actual theme from the start might make everything come together neater. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. As for real instruments, I didn't really envision using any in this mix in the beginning (other than the sampled guitars/strings), so I will probably stay away from using them this time around.

The throaty vocalish synth is still a maybe. It's quirky, and that's why I like it. But if I can get actual vocoded vocals in its place, I might go with that instead. Any volunteers?