*NO* Dragon Ball Z 'Hyperdimension'

OceansAndrew

• 3 weeks later...

This has a pretty cool sound to it, and some cool filtering, but the structure and overall sound is pretty verbatim to the original. The beats and transitions are new, and it is pretty obvious a lot of care has gone into the arrangement, with breakdowns and builds, but the lack of expansion on the melodic aspects make this a tougher sell for me. The ending being a bit weak as well brought it down a little. It was at least slightly faded, but I think a more composed ending would help this out.

Overall I think the polish is there, and it's very close otherwise, but the lack of expansion and the weak ending put it just a little under the bar for me. Other judges might feel it does enough though, so perhaps it will make it despite my vote. I'd love to hear a slightly expanded resubmission, though. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to mention how muffled this sounds due to the various filterings to it, but listening to it a few more times, I see how it works for the feel you're going for. Overall, you've got a good start on a cool idea for this source, but once you get into the meat of things, the arrangement becomes static. With some more development, you could pass, but it's not there as is.

NO (resubmit)

this source tune sounds like a mid-90's Joshua Morse. :P very cool, I'll have to check out some others from this game. :)

as for your mix, I thought it was pretty fantastic.. conservative, yes, particularly with the melody, but with the modified rhythm and syncopations in the backing parts, really effective builds and texture drops, great drum writing and creative processing, I thought this was highly personalized.

I do have two small faults with this; first being that I feel the lead is not quite loud enough (personal gripe), and second is the ending. it's good up until the point that it suddenly stops. you could drop a nice jazzy chord there at the end or something. :P

anyway those are small issues that I'm going to overlook in terms of yes'ing this, but I'd at least request that something be done with the ending.

YES

• 1 month later...

There's a really cool vibe to this track and some very unique jazzy textures that I appreciated a lot, but there's a few issues holding this back for me personally. Overall, a lot of your instruments and even the drums are pretty blocky in terms of sequencing and the type of delay that you're using on all of your sounds, too. Some more humanization to the melodies/drums, and preferably some more personalization on the melody itself, would really put this over the top for me, I think.

I dig the use of effects to give this more of a dreamy quality, but I think you went overboard here, so that there's never any melody or hook taking control of the track. It's on groove-mode almost all the time and would benefit a lot from something taking center-stage once and a while.

The ending wasn't great but I wasn't terribly bothered by it either.

Lastly, the repetitiveness of the arrangement and even the transitions you use really becomes noticeable on repeat listens and hurts my enjoyment of the track overall. Slimming this down or adding in more variations (you could probably kill two birds with one stone and throw in some unique solos to change things up throughout the song) would make your arrangement a lot more tight.

Very cool track and I sincerely wanna see this again, but there's too many issues adding up for me to be comfortable passing it.

NO (resubmit!)

Very close call on this one. I enjoyed listening to this, and after my first listen I was thinking about passing it. But after relistening, the weaknesses were more apparent. It feels like a background track because of how low the lead is mixed in. halc and Emunator kind of hit on this, and I think it's a good criticism. I also thought that this needed a tad more development. You've got a great handle on details like transitions and effects, but I heard the same patterns used over and over, and it felt like mix and match. Add in the ending that just ends and it adds up to a NO for me. Great candidate for resubmission, with just a little more work I could pass this.

NO (resubmit)