Ruffneck Terra (FF6)

halc

One of my favorite sources ever. Nice. :nicework:

I wasn't a huge fan of the swing at the beginning ex-pecially given the straight groove of the rest of the remix. Maybe it's just because I'm so fond of the source as it is that the shuffle kind of bothered me since it didn't belie the rhythm I expected.

It seems a bit sparse in the area around 0:45.

The percussion could use some more variationfrom 0:45-1:45ish. You like glitching stuff. GLITCH IT. GLIIIIIIIITTCHHH IIITTTTTTttttttttt.

Slick transition to the double-time business around 2:15.

When the wubzywubbbzzz come in around 2:35, I thought that it and the percussion didn't gel very well. Dub-step wubz are very percussive, and it felt for a bit like there were two different rhythmic ideas going on between the wubz and drums.

I know shit-all about production and hardly any more about sound design, so I can't much comment in those areas.

I enjoyed it, but in my opinion, there's still some work to be done.

Hah, and just a random thing I noticed recently is that almost all of your mixes end with the drums filtering out. Always a cool effect, but every time??!

Hah, and just a random thing I noticed recently is that almost all of your mixes end with the drums filtering out. Always a cool effect, but every time??!

EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME

anyway, I like this way more than the early version you posted on facebook. the arpeggios you added during the main bit definitely made it better, and the DnB section is just fucking badass

:nicework:

halc, ecto... looks like the 9bit Inner Circle has been summoned.

Now that ben has commented, the 9bit circle is complete (claims the unposted remixer).

hal-see, I hereby challenge you to end this mix with something other than the drums filtering out! God damn it, you're just gonna switch it to a high-pass aren't you...

why fix what isn't broken? ;D

okay, really, I feel you on that, but it's just so effective. it's kind of a signature of my style. either that or I'm just lazy, dunno. my upcoming pilotwings album has some legitimate endings, so don't go around telling everyone I can only make filter-fadeouts. :roll:

anyway, appreciate the comments, some good crits here too. I'm a bit too trigger-happy when it comes to calling things finished, but I can see the concerns with the wobble at the end. maybe I'll take a look at it in a few days with fresh ears.

8-bit Final fantasy loveliness dubstep. What more? Halc on that.

This is awesome stuff and it is going in the good way. Smooth till the end. But did you think to add a filthier part of only 30 second of less just to pick up listener. Like overdriven glitchy bass of something like that. Otherwise there is nothing to say. You are the pro and I'm the amateur :)

Hope to see this soon on front page.

Ok, now I like the shuffle in the intro. What the hell.

The percussion is much more varied, and the glitching + bass in the beginning set the tone for what will inevitably be some dubstep destruction. Great arrangement idea.

The subdued section beginning around 1:10 is excellent the way it slowly weaves layers in and out.

The Rhodes-y thing immediately after that does a great job of subtly holding the harmonic structure together while the rhythm goes from chill to double-timed. Another excellent arrangement decision.

I hear the percussion and the wubz synchronized much better now. VERY cool effect :D

I love the interplay between the wubz and those ostinato arpeggios around 3:00ish and after.

I know it's already submitted, but man, this was subdued for a semi-dubstep track. I love the new version you posted -- you satisfied all the criticisms I had -- but I think with the double-time drums and the wubz, there could have been some seriously heavy wobble and glitch going on after 3:00. Certainly, it works as it is, but I was kind of expecting the climax to be a little more climactic. Oh wellz, though, just my expectation. Again, nothing wrong with the more subdued climax you made.

And you turned the rez down on your filter-out. Sly dog, thinking I wouldn't notice you filtered those drumsgrumnblemumble...

Verdict: badass & never let it be said that halc does not listen to his critics.

Congratulations, I bet this remix will finally get you posted on OCR!!!

For the 30th time or whatever!!!

I know it's already submitted, but man, this was subdued for a semi-dubstep track. I love the new version you posted -- you satisfied all the criticisms I had -- but I think with the double-time drums and the wubz, there could have been some seriously heavy wobble and glitch going on after 3:00. Certainly, it works as it is, but I was kind of expecting the climax to be a little more climactic. Oh wellz, though, just my expectation. Again, nothing wrong with the more subdued climax you made.

I really like how subdued all of halc's work is. I can't find anything else like it.

Which is why I like what he did here with the wubz. I see halc's work all about creating an evolving atmosphere, not really leading up to any sort of huge climax but just really making you feel like you're somewhere else.

Just my two cents on the whole "subdued" thing. It's a really endearing attribute of his work to me.

I really like how subdued all of halc's work is. I can't find anything else like it.

Which is why I like what he did here with the wubz. I see halc's work all about creating an evolving atmosphere, not really leading up to any sort of huge climax but just really making you feel like you're somewhere else.

Just my two cents on the whole "subdued" thing. It's a really endearing attribute of his work to me.

Actually, that's a good point.