Paid "Opportunities"?

I am on Reverbnation and a high school acquaintance of mine has me listed to receive emails from his website with all these label submissions and professional critique and A&R stuff called "Opportunities".

For a submission fee of like $10-$50 (sometimes free, but rarely) or even more, some combination of music industry centered words like "A music A&R executive will submit your songs to top publishing firms for TV, Film, Game and Media." or even put your music in consideration to be remixed, or your band to play some show in Florida or California.

As someone who has been submitting art to hundreds of "media outlets" on my own, for free, I have to ask - is this just a huge scam for moron musicians with too much money? Yeah, you can pay some "industry executive" $50 to submit your music, but does that actually improve your odds of your music appearing in something? In my experience, TV, Film and Game companies, to put a fine cap on it, "don't want your shit, we have plenty of our own." How would this improve with a $50.00 submission?

I know Taxi is supposed to be pretty good, but I am curious - has anyone used any of these "opportunities"? Are they just scams or do they actually kind of work?

I personally stay away from any system where you have to 'pay' someone money up front to get you a job. Too many of those type of things are scams and give you little if anything in return. It's not like they're going to act as your manager and pimp you out for jobs. Maybe I'm just old fashion but I'm just not comfortable with these sort of things.

I personally stay away from any system where you have to 'pay' someone money up front to get you a job. Too many of those type of things are scams and give you little if anything in return. It's not like they're going to act as your manager and pimp you out for jobs. Maybe I'm just old fashion but I'm just not comfortable with these sort of things.

Agreed 100%

My dad's band Skeauxsha uses Reverbnation a little bit, but the opportunities thing is entirely useless. The one time that he tried to use it, he paid 7 dollars with the promise that one of their songs would be reviewed for use. It generated an automatic message in less than five minutes telling him they weren't accepted, but only after he'd paid for it. My advice, if it isn't free, skip it.