Final Fantasy 8 "The Spy"

noTuX

Lately, I've been have some issues with the EQing on my songs and I came to realize that there were some changes made to my computer's sound output settings that caused me a whole lot of trouble (basically, my surround sound settings screwed me up). And also, it seems that my headphones make it difficult for me to detect sound balancing problems during playback. So, I am trying to make some changes to the way I EQ my music to compensate for it.

Anyway...here's a quick little something I whipped up while testing out my new EQ settings. This is a remix of the Missile Base theme, or "The Spy" from Final Fantasy 8. Its still kinda short, but I have much planned for it.

Original theme: http://youtu.be/z-QrEMazxh0

WIP: http://soundcloud.com/user7666413/final-fantasy-8-well-color-me

Thanks!

A great beat and a very enjoyable listen! =D

I'm a failure at mixing, but I did notice a couple of things I would change if I were you.

I'd pan the guitar a little more to the right. If you're listening to the song with your headphones, it's a little strange to hear most of the stuff in the first part of the song through your left headphone.

Also, I'd use less reverb on the piano. All the other instruments sound more like they're played in a small room, so the piano sticks out a little too much. Then again it might be the samples you're using.

Otherwise, the song sounds fine to me. I hope you finish it! I'd love to hear the final version. =D

A great piece as always, Blue Magic. Love the funk - I actually caught myself sub-consciously starting to move to it in my chair. 8)

I think the only big thing I noticed was that the last instrument that came in needed some work; it just didn't sound... right, I guess is the closest I can come to it. Maybe too mechanical, if I had to try to quantify "right."

Other than that, I'll be watching to see how the expanded version turns out!